• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG (II) 8x42, what's your opinion? (1 Viewer)

oh oh, what I feared became truth: the diopter in my Nikon EDG II is not deadlocked.... It isn't much but unfortunately too much to neglect. It happens when I push the focusser too hard when turning, then it takes the diopter with it but the diopter moves much slower. Of course I do not push the focusser hard intently when I'm in the field and there is the main problem: it just happens.

I am very tempted to neglect it: it is just a little (less than 1 on the scale) and it happens only in a few days. The main question is: is it possible to repair this beyond doubt? The have to send it to Germany and I do not like the idea of missing my bins for a few weeks (because they are still beautiful to look through!!). I don't think that the problem will become bigger in the future when I look at the construction. I keep thinking that I have to get used to the little more delicate way of focussing than I was used to: tonight after a few hours out the problem didn't occur.

What to do?

Last edited:
This is one reason why I don't like the pull out focuser knob with the diopter underneath, the dual function can overlap, unfortunately, as it has on your sample.

Plus, it's an EDG II. This problem was supposed to be taken care of! The dual function design is tricky, but Swaro seems to have done a better job at it, although they've had much more time to perfect it.

Am I correct in assuming that the EDG II diopter is set up the same way as on the EDG I? That is, you have to pull out the focus knob to see the diopter ring and then turn it with your fingers, not with the focuser knob like on the EL?

I like the EL design better because you pull out the knob and then turn the focuser which turns the diopter without having to search for it.

The EDG's diopter is very low profile and smooth surfaced, nothing sticking out to help you find it with gloves on. I had to turn the bin toward me to see where it was, though I would imagine with time it would have gotten easier to find, particularly if the knob had worked properly and stayed put instead of dropping back down over the diopter.

Spring is a bad time to be w/out your bins. You should call them, explain the problem and ask how long it would take to fix and get them back. If it's more than two weeks, an the problem doesn't seem to be getting worse, then perhaps you should hold on to them and use a "light touch" on the focuser until the fall and send them in for repairs after migration.

Hey Brock,

thanks for replying. The way you describe the way the diopter settings have to be adjusted in the EDG is correct. With the EL and the Victory (as I recall) indeed the focusser also could set the diopter if pulled out. With the EDG I have to scroll the dipter itself and it "focusses"also very smooth.

When I called them Nikon couldn't tell how long it would take so I will try to get used to the "light touch". Can't miss them in spring (or anytime :)). My dealer offered a similar quality bin for the time of repair but let's try first to keep it.

In a few weeks I will be back with a report on the progress.

Hey Brock,

thanks for replying. The way you describe the way the diopter settings have to be adjusted in the EDG is correct. With the EL and the Victory (as I recall) indeed the focusser also could set the diopter if pulled out. With the EDG I have to scroll the dipter itself and it "focusses"also very smooth.

When I called them Nikon couldn't tell how long it would take so I will try to get used to the "light touch". Can't miss them in spring (or anytime :)). My dealer offered a similar quality bin for the time of repair but let's try first to keep it.

Good Luck! I would be interested in finding out how this problem is resolved, if they repair the diopter or if they just send you another sample EDG II like they did to the EDG I owners in the US who had diopter problems.

Write down your serial # (it should also be on the stub of your warranty card), so you will know if it was fixed or replaced.

Brock

Hey Brock,

Quickstart,

A suggestion here. If you can do it try to move your focusing index finger further back on the focus knob when you are focusing. If you have it too far forward and use heavy pressure when you focus it could cause the front edge of the cover to jam down on the diopter ring also turning it.

Bob

I have the same problem with my Nikon 8X42 EDG II. The diopter has a tendency to creep. Every now and then I have to correct it.

Here's another thing that is a mystery to me. If I haven't focused for ten minutes or so, the focus wheel will have a stiff resistance momentarily, then return to the silky-smooth action that Nikon is famous for. It is so predictable that I habitually move the wheel back and forth a few times (very quickly) to "loosen" the wheel as I am bringing them up to my face, in order to work through the stiff phase and into the butter. The stiffness is not a function of temperature, it happens while birding during 90+ temps in the desert, and chilly mornings in the mountains. My hunch is that the stiffness I feel is the focus wheel engaging the diopter adjustment. The stiffness is not affected by how hard I press on the wheel or finger placement.

Nikon customer service has always been excellent. I "upgraded" to the EDG after a 6-year relationship with Nikon's Premier LxL. Working as a wildlife biologist/ avian biologist, and given that I spend almost every minute of my free time birding, I use my binoculars daily. I've worn-through the armor coating and I have had other durability issues with Nikon binoculars. These issues have always worked-out to my advantage because Nikon continues to send me brand new binoculars whenever I send-in my used pair for repair. This allows me the worry-free luxury of beating on my binoculars day in and day out.

By purchasing the EDG, I was hoping to gain a more durable binocular (Yes, I've read Pete Dunn's durability test performed on an early model of an EDG I) and decrease the amount of repair time. My plan is to beat on these through another field season and spring migration, and then I will send them in for repair/ replacement when life slows down.

Durability is one thing; the focus wheel issue is down-right annoying.

Quickstart,

A suggestion here. If you can do it try to move your focusing index finger further back on the focus knob when you are focusing. If you have it too far forward and use heavy pressure when you focus it could cause the front edge of the cover to jam down on the diopter ring also turning it.

Bob

Thanks for thinking ahead. Your suggestion sounds like a solution but reading the thread of IVBirder my hopes are low. The way he describes every first turn of the knob sounds familiar. But... I will try it first.

I know the serial number by heart ;) and read in other threads that Nikon has the policy to send new bins instead of repairing as the cheaper option.

I will keep you posted! By the way, the name "kwikstaart" is Dutch for "wagtail".

marijn

Thanks for thinking ahead. Your suggestion sounds like a solution but reading the thread of IVBirder my hopes are low. The way he describes every first turn of the knob sounds familiar. But... I will try it first.

I know the serial number by heart ;) and read in other threads that Nikon has the policy to send new bins instead of repairing as the cheaper option.

I will keep you posted! By the way, the name "kwikstaart" is Dutch for "wagtail".

marijn

I hope your tail will be wagging too when you get your new EDG II!

In view of the focus/dioptre 'incidents' being experienced by kwikstaart and IVBirder, I'd be interested to know what Dennis thinks of the 'concerns' expressed. I like Nikon stuff and it's not my intention to blow things out of proportion, but just to seek a few more opinions from EDG owners. I must say I'm delighted with my old HGs (8x32, 10x32, 8x42).
So, over to you, Dennis...

In view of the focus/dioptre 'incidents' being experienced by kwikstaart and IVBirder, I'd be interested to know what Dennis thinks of the 'concerns' expressed. I like Nikon stuff and it's not my intention to blow things out of proportion, but just to seek a few more opinions from EDG owners. I must say I'm delighted with my old HGs (8x32, 10x32, 8x42).
So, over to you, Dennis...

Not a bit of problem with my EDG II's. I have put quite a few miles on the focus and diopter and they are functioning perfectly. These seem to be the most trouble free binoculars I have had so far. These EDG's seem to have the most 3D effect of any roof I have had. They are not quite a porro in that regard but never the less they present great 3D images and I am not sure how Nikon does it.

An update from The Netherlands: this last week I've tried to adjust the way I turn the focusser and with 97% succes: the diopter only moved less than 0,5 and only once in a few days. Although my dealer is willing to lend me another pair during repair I still haven't decided whether to send them in. Luckily I still have years of warranty so there is no hurry (maybe in the meantime another upgrade arrives which I get in return :)).

The stiff resistance IVBirder notices is something else. Since he mentioned it I still do not know whether it's my imagination or if it's real. I tend to the last but I do no know what the reason is. So, all in all, still happy

Creeping Diopter? I have been on the brink of purchasing an alpha and thought I had it down to either the SV or the EDG leaning to the EDG because the rolling ball bothers me. Then the Zeiss hoopla started and I waited a bit to see what happens when folks get some hands on experience on them. Then, the $500 off promo and I am thinking I would just punt on waiting and buy the EDG......Right? So, one more scan through this forum to see the latest comments on the EDG and Creeping Diopter? With 2 posters experiencing the problem?? Is this for real??? I have not seen any comments from Mike or ND Hunter on the issue - although I think ND has version 1. A Creeping Diopter would be a serious bother. I would like to think that it is an isolated issue - but 2 posters with the same issue seems to point otherwise?

Creeping Diopter? I have been on the brink of purchasing an alpha and thought I had it down to either the SV or the EDG leaning to the EDG because the rolling ball bothers me. Then the Zeiss hoopla started and I waited a bit to see what happens when folks get some hands on experience on them. Then, the $500 off promo and I am thinking I would just punt on waiting and buy the EDG......Right? So, one more scan through this forum to see the latest comments on the EDG and Creeping Diopter? With 2 posters experiencing the problem?? Is this for real??? I have not seen any comments from Mike or ND Hunter on the issue - although I think ND has version 1. A Creeping Diopter would be a serious bother. I would like to think that it is an isolated issue - but 2 posters with the same issue seems to point otherwise?

Must admit I recently purchased an EDG 7x42 and I have the creeping diopter problem. It's really annoying.

Yes, I read that thread when it came out - supposedly the EDG II model had corrected the Creeping Diopter. This thread is the first that I have seen that the EDG II has the same issue.

For the record, I have been using a Nikon 10 x 32 EDG I since July of 2010. Several times a week. I have experienced no diopter problem with it in that time. I can't remember the last time I set it.

I suggested in the past that in some instances pressing down hard on the front end of the focus wheel during focusing might cause it to jam against the diopter wheel and move it. I have noticed that the front portion of the focus wheel where it covers the diopter wheel has some flex in it. Moving the index finger to the back part of the focus wheel might make a difference.

Bob

Last edited:

I see you have included me here, I have had both versions of the EDG I and II, and I did have a diopter shift only on the version I.
The EGE II seems to have corrected those issues. I really like the EDG, and I do find it a great compromise with the flat field view without any issues with RB.
You are comparing both the EDG and the SV, and if you have seen some
issues with RB in the SV, then the EDG would be better for you. The SV does
have more of a flat field view, where the EDG is a nice compromise.
I would go that route, and Nikon will take care of you after the sale.

You mentioned the Zeiss FL on sale before the new model, I have had the
Zeiss FL 8x42, and it is a nice optic, but I prefer the view of the Nikons and
the Swarovskis. It seems Zeiss, has just gone the way of max. transmission
without any concern of the view at the outer 30%, and their new HT model is
just a repeat of the FL.
When I purchase an optic in this price range, I want the best view to the edges. The high level of transmission and coatings of the newest ones mentioned here
are at a very high level, so that should be very adequate.

Jerry

To Argon and Andrew

I'm the one who noticed the creeping diopter with my EDG II 8x42. At the time it wasn't much and since I adjusted the pressure and the place I put my fingers I haven't experienced any problems, even with gloves. As the diopter hasn't moved since and I don't have to think about it it's now my natural way of focussing.

Also I have send Mike an email but haven't heard from him which is disappointing but I don't let it spoil the pleasure of viewing.

Good luck with your purchase,
marijn

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back