• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how do i decrease file size? (1 Viewer)

christine

Hi all,i tried to upload a photo onto the gallery earlier but was told the filesize was too big and to reduce it. Problem is i'm not very computer literate and have no idea how to do this. The pic is stored in my pictures and i've got windows xp professional.I'd be grateful for any help, hopefully in language
this technical twit can understand! :h?:

Christine

christine said:
Hi all,i tried to upload a photo onto the gallery earlier but was told the filesize was too big and to reduce it. Problem is i'm not very computer literate and have no idea how to do this. The pic is stored in my pictures and i've got windows xp professional.I'd be grateful for any help, hopefully in language

Christine
What imaging programs do you have Christine?

Hi Christine,

The first thing you need is a good imaging program (I use PaintShop Pro). All programs will have the option to resize pictures for the web. In PaintShop, you have many compression and re-sizing options.

Cheers,

Hanno

Hi Christine,

I have the XP Home edition which has 'Microsoft Picture It!' for photos and my works machine has XP Pro with a Microsoft photo product too, possibly the same one.

If this is the same one you have then work on the photo first such as using the crop tools, sharpen, adjust contrast etc, and then when you are happy from the File Menu select 'Save as' and pick a file name for the photo but before hitting the 'save' button select options and on the right side of the new screen you can select photo size - 800x600 is a good size for the Gallery as 800x800 are the max dimensions it will accept. The second thing to do is to set the compression to Jpeg if it isn't already selected and then consider what compression to use. Default is 10% which should be enough in most instances, even 5% is often sufficient. File size needs to be reduced to under 200 kb but the amount of compression needed varies greatly between photos so it's a trial and error thing really.

There are other ways of achieving the same thing but I think this may be the simplest.

Last edited:
christine said:

Christine
We use Photoshop

Hi all,
well i managed to reduce the picture size on the camera itself and managed to upload it onto the gallery, i'm grinning away like a cheshire cat on members gallery now, looking a bit grainy though.
I have adobe photoshop but i dont know how to use it as yet ( you'd never believe im studying b.a.design communication would you?!) Cheers for your help guys unfortunatley i'll probabley be back!

Christine

christine said:
Hi all,
well i managed to reduce the picture size on the camera itself and managed to upload it onto the gallery,
Seems like we have a new Janine13 ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back