• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of the Brunton ICON 25-50x 80mm Angled Scope (1 Viewer)

This is how my Brunton shipped from Botach. It was in good shape. Looks like the only Brunton Icon spotter not backordered [sold out] at Botach is the 25-50x80 Icon.

Attachments

• 2015 Snow & Brunton scope 002 (1280x851).jpg
    2015 Snow & Brunton scope 002 (1280x851).jpg
    462 KB · Views: 145
  • 2015 Snow & Brunton scope 003 (1280x851).jpg
    2015 Snow & Brunton scope 003 (1280x851).jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
I've decided to return the straight 20-60x version of the ICON to Botach and keep the 25-50x eyepiece for use on the angled body. In part that's because this particular straight body was defective enough that I couldn't honestly represent it as desirable if I tried to resell it myself. Also my wife, who will be the main user of the scope, prefers the 25-50x eyepiece.

I don't suppose there is much interest in a discontinued scope from a company that has completely dropped out of the optics market, but FWIW my final opinion after examining both eyepieces and both the straight and angled versions is that the scope is mechanically excellent, particularly the variable speed focuser, but optically flawed for two main reasons. First, the performance at close distances is extremely poor due to excessive spherical aberration. SA is reduced to a reasonable level at long distance, which is the only reason I'm keeping either unit.

The second serious flaw is extremely high lateral color in both eyepieces, except for a small area in the field center. Beyond a circle of about 15º-20º of apparent field the 25-50x eyepiece has the most lateral color I've ever seen in an eyepiece. You don't have to be an optics geek to notice it. My decidedly non-geeky wife immediately saw it on a line of bright white gulls floating on the water in sunlight. The 20-60x eyepiece turned out on closer examination to have somewhat less lateral color, but still a pretty large amount within the AFOV it shares with the 25-50x.

I'm happy enough with the center field image at long range in the better of the two units I tried, but I think this product is a perfect example of why Brunton didn't succeed in the sports optics market. The scope was probably quite expensive to make, but due to optical design flaws that should have been caught at the prototype stage it was simply not competitive at the original street price of $2500-3000.

Last edited:
We have been looking for a cheap high quality scope to leave setup at home for watching feeders.

I was thinking of doing what Gwen has done by adding a good fixed ep.

But my wifes hummer feeders are close.

Having read what Henry has to say the search will continue.

While we do have the Kowa and Swaro scopes don't want to chance when grand kids visit!

Steve would like to here your thoughts when you have a chance.

Bryce...

Bryce,

Yes, one of my misgivings about keeping this scope is knowing that it will be quite poor for watching hummingbird feeders at close range.

Henry

Upgraded Zoom for Angled Brunton Icon

gwen,

.... If I were to glue something to my angled ICON body it would probably be a Baader Hyperion zoom or one of the Swarovski 20-60x clones. The Baader would be about 21.5-55x on the ICON with a wider field than the 20-60x ICON zoom. The Swarovski clones would be about 22-57x.

Henry
Hi Henry.
Do you have specific part numbers for the Baader and/or Swarovski clone zooms that could be adapted to the Icon angled scope.
Thanks in advance for any reply.

Hi Henry.
Do you have specific part numbers for the Baader and/or Swarovski clone zooms that could be adapted to the Icon angled scope.

I personally would not attach any eyepiece to the Brunton unless it was at least a watertight/rain proof eyepiece. I knew that when I attached the Pentax XW20 to the Epoch Brunton that it was never coming off & with the Pentax I was not worried about the eyepiece failing(fogging or worse). Even though the Bruntons were greatly discounted, you will still have a few hundred dollars with the eyepiece into it. My advice ... after you choose your eyepiece, do not cheap out on the type of glue/silicone you use ..... gwen.

Last edited:
Hi Henry.

I was thinking of the MK III version of the Baader Hyperion zoom. If you google it you'll see it's available from many US dealers. It only claims "water tightness" for the eye lens. The Swarovski clones I've seen are the 20-60x zooms for the Zen-Ray 82ED scope and the Vortex Razor scopes. Those claim full waterproofness.

Your question reminded me about substituting other eyepieces on the ICON scope, so I cooked up a temporary way to attach the Baader zoom and tried it out on our local lakes. I much prefer it optically to either of the Brunton eyepieces. The excessive lateral color of the Bruntons is gone and and off-axis sharpness is improved. Even the FOV is only slightly reduced compared to the 25-50X Brunton wide angle zoom over the same magnification range, while the range itself is increased to about 18x-55x. I think I'll try to figure out a way to firmly, but not permanently, attach the Baader to the ICON.

Henry

On a Mini Mission

.....I think I'll try to figure out a way to firmly, but not permanently, attach the Baader to the ICON.

Henry
Thank you Henry for the appreciated details and insight. Would enjoy hearing your preferences on how that ought to fit and function (see below)
Embarking on this miniature quest has been easy to conceive with the gracious help of Gwen as well, who has been patient enough to walk me through a crash course with regards to adapting eyepieces where proprietary conflicts crop up :t:

Until late last month, I had only owned one spotting scope in my life, a TSN 821M which I parted with over a decade ago.
In last 3 weeks I've amassed; (several still in transit to me);
  • Vintage B&L Military "pistol box" spotter w/ 20X eyepiece
  • TSN-883 with three of its latest model lenses
  • Brunton Icon 25-50(angled)
  • Pentax PF-65ED-A II (sans eyepiece)
  • Pentax XW14 eyepiece

With the XW14 and hints from the Pentax PF65, it is my intention to try my hand at prototyping some 1.25" adapters for the Kowa as well as the Brunton, in order to facilitate switching readily back and forth between indigenous and alien eyepieces and their host scope bodies.

Off topic

Here's a picture of my dad and I from 35 years ago.
Can anyone tell me what that scope is back there on the big wooden tripod?
First thought Balscope Sr. but they had straight eyepieces.
Kip%20dad%2078_zps6ybgvtjx.jpg

Fast forward 23 years (12 years ago). Me prone with my 821M at the 1,000 yd line, and Coach Rollins reading mirage behind the big Unertl.
Palma%201000%20yd_zpswxxkorxh.jpg

And here's a shot of the raw Kowa eyepiece covers I use to make for Creedmoor Sports under license from Kowa. From there I outsourced the black gloss anodizing and subsequent laser "KOWA" logos, but all machining, o-ring and glass placement was done here in my back yard shop literally.
P1310169_zpstyo8hmf3.jpg

Eventually KOWA replaced my aluminum ones with a synthetic version from Japan.... saw that coming :)

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my dad and I from 35 years ago.
Can anyone tell me what that scope is back there on the big wooden tripod?
First thought Balscope Sr. but they had straight eyepieces.

looks like a Kowa TS-1

Attachments

• _DSC5442_sRGB.jpg
    _DSC5442_sRGB.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Vespobuteo,

I think you nailed that one, looks like that Kowa to me.:t:

Ziabeam I would be interested in one of the 1.25" adapter for the Brunton Icon that I have.

Last edited:
Ziabeam,

There could be enough interest in a Kowa adapter to make that one profitable. I'd buy one just in case I ever own a Kowa scope and I would definitely sign up for a Brunton adapter, but I can't imagine there would be much interest in that one since the scope is discontinued and didn't sell well.

Check out this discussion of adapters for the Kowa.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=283952

Henry

Ziabeam,

There could be enough interest in a Kowa adapter to make that one profitable. I'd buy one just in case I ever own a Kowa scope and I would definitely sign up for a Brunton adapter, but I can't imagine there would be much interest in that one since the scope is discontinued and didn't sell well.

Check out this discussion of adapters for the Kowa.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=283952

Henry
GOoooo Ziabeam ... If indeed you are able to make a commercial grade adapter for the 77/88mm Kowa's as Henry mentioned, I also think there will be many that would like to get their hands on one. ...gwen

Last edited:
Can do

Ziabeam I would be interested in one of the 1.25" adapter for the Brunton Icon that I have.

Looks like I'm making a few Brunton adapters, hopefully followed by a Kowa version down the line.
My projects do take a while, but they either get done, or get cancelled with a courtesy update in either case.
Will edit 'interested' list here if it grows;

• mooreorless
  • henry link
  • "mine"
  • Prototype

Last edited:
The Baader would be about 21.5-55x on the ICON with a wider field than the 20-60x ICON zoom. The Swarovski clones would be about 22-57x.

Henry

But the Baader is an 8-24 zoom..right..?..i thought it always did multiply by three the low power ,no matter the focal of the scope....Wouldn't have to go up to 64.5x ,starting from 21.5x?...

But the Baader is an 8-24 zoom..right..?..i thought it always did multiply by three the low power ,no matter the focal of the scope....Wouldn't have to go up to 64.5x ,starting from 21.5x?...
Mayoayo I'm not sure how Henry arrived at 21.5, and while I do understand how you arrived at tripling that number given the quotient of 24mm/8mm, that further confuses what I think I know about the basic formula. Here is what Gwen taught me, which matches what I have read elsewhere;

A/B=X;
  • the scope's focal length.
    Brunton (A) =450mm
  • By the eyepiece setting
    Baaeder eyepiece focal length (B) 24mm-8mm
  • Equals; (approximate)
    18.75(X)-56.25(X) magnification range

Last edited:
Mayoayo,
Also keep in mind Henry is able to factor in variables that are way over my head where my basic formulas fail to produce real world numbers....
I would trust Henry's numbers.

Sorry guys, the 21.5x was a careless mistake. I think Gwen's figure of 450mm for the ICON focal length is an approximation he got from me. The actual focal length may be a little less than that, somewhere between 440 and 450mm, so lately I've been using 445mm as an approximation. I'll try to do a more precise photographic measurement tomorrow, but I think 445 is probably OK, +/-1%. The true focal lengths of zoom eyepieces are probably off more than that.

Henry

Two months later with my straight Icon with 25x50 I am still not seeing excessive lateral color or sharpness problems. Perhaps I have a very good eyepiece.

My Zeiss Diascope 85 T FL with 20x75 zoom shows much more CA at powers below 40x than the Brunton.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back