• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird photography (1 Viewer)

shepster

I'm planning a few days in Lancashire next week, primarily with bird photography in mind. In addition to perhaps Leighton Moss and Martin Mere could anyone suggest good photography spots?

I'm planning a few days in Lancashire next week, primarily with bird photography in mind. In addition to perhaps Leighton Moss and Martin Mere could anyone suggest good photography spots?

Hi

The RSPB Marshside reserve at Southport is worth a try with quite a few nice hides/screens.
Mere Sands Wood which is a Lanc WT reserve near Martin Mere use to be quite good for Kingfisher I have not been for a while but I am sure someone more in touch with the place could give you a better idea of what's around.
Formby and Cabin Hill National Nature Reserve again not far from Martin Mere can be worth a visit, Formby can be very busy but you should get some great Red Squirrel shots and the odd wader on the shore line, Cabin Hill is a lot more quite and is good for waders during high tide and the dunes can hold Stone Chat and Meadow Pipit at this time of year.

Regards

Tim.

Afternoon Shepster,
You can also have a look at White Coppice at Wheelton and Yarrow Valley Park at Chorley. Along the coast you can visit Lytham St. Annes and the Observatory at Rossall Point Fleetwood and Bolton le Sands on Morecambe Bay. Hope you have a nice visit and get some good shots.

Hi, Shepster
If you head down to the new viewing tower at Leighton Moss turn right the straightish pathway gives good results, take a few mealworms with you and you’ll have the Robins feeding from your hand, you will see must of the popular garden species and others Nut hatch Tree creeper, keep an eye on the large fallen trees these are were you will see the Bank Voles once you pass the first bench you will just have to keep your eyes open with the reeds being tall and carry on to the Grisedale hide and Tim Jackson hide both can give good results, if you have the time Lilian hide is good this one is near the centre you can then carry on to Public and Lower hide these too can give good results too.

The visitors book might give you what’s showing at the mo, and don’t forget about the two salt marsh hides a mile down the road.

Jim

Can anyone confirm if LWT Mere Sands Wood is open all week?

I am over that way later this week and would like to go and have a look round.

Anyone know opening times / days?

Thanks

Dave.

Can anyone confirm if LWT Mere Sands Wood is open all week?

I am over that way later this week and would like to go and have a look round.

Anyone know opening times / days?

Thanks

Dave.
Apart from the visitors centre , the reserve is open every day and times are whenever you like , you can arrive at dawn and stay till dusk , the visitors centre is open from 9.30 am but does not open on fridays , the car park is locked at night but i believe is open from 9am although there are several entrances from other parts of the reserve like cousins lane cricket ground

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back