• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can anyone reccommend a decent thermos flask? (1 Viewer)

bartolli

Now that it's getting colder, I'm getting fed up of lukewarm/cold coffee.
I've had 3 different flasks and none of them have been any good, barely drinkable lukewarm coffee after a mere 2 hours in the flask is unacceptable!
The ones I've tried include Go Outdoors own brand as well as Stanley.
I've tried pouring boiling water in first and leaving it in for 20 mins, I've tried heating the milk before adding it to the flask as well.

There must be a decent make of flask out there that can keep stuff hot for 4 hours, surely?

:)

The thermos stainless steel ultimate mkII seems to fit the bill, but pricey.
Has anyone used one of these? Claims to keep hot for 24 hrs!

i gave away a Thermos brand stainless steel double wall vacuum flask (the 1l version) as a present a few years ago. I got glowing reports. At the time I picked it because I found a review where somebody had bought a number of readily available ones and run his own tests how how liquids still where after a given amount of time, and this one easily was the winner.

Andrea

Thermos stainless steel model it's red I use it and I'm sooo pleased with it stays very hot well over 12 hours great flask can't go wrong it's on sale at sainsburys from 25 to 16 quid hope this helps

Hello Bartoli,

I do not wish to sound patronizing but did you preheat the flask with boiling water and let it stand for a minute? Doing that my flask, glass or steel, keeps my coffee hot for many hours. For cold drinks, fill the flask with ice water before filling with a beverage.

Incidentally, the glass flasks are better for holding heat but are rather more delicate.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Good tip on the hot water...always do that with soup...keeps them hotter for much longer (I think widemouth food flasks leak more heat)
I've got the Lifeventure 1 litre steel flask...another recommendation...they seem to have been on offer in Millets lately I've seen them knocking about for 19 quid...

Hello Bartoli,

I should have added that I drink my coffee black. If you had milk, it should be steamed or heated. The hotter the beverage, the longer it will stay hot.
Jason,

I have the same experience with wide mouth flasks.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Many thanks for all the comments!

I think I'll have to invest in one of the thermos models, you get what you pay for I guess!

Pinewood: yes I do preheat the flask and milk, but thanks for the comments!

I did the same as someones friend, bought 3 and tried them out.
Now this was some years back and the "best" was a stainless steel one from Wilkinsons that had a black elasticated cover around it. Not sure the cover actually did anything.

I think the problem is that we want convenience and that means the top where the coffee/tea comes out is too fancy and the heat disappears through that. A simple well insulated screw in top seems best. You do not have the "convenience" of half unscrewing it to pour but it is the mechanism allowing this pouring that loses the heat.

I found it was easy to check as all I had to do was fill with hot water, put the top "bung" bit on and leave for 10 minutes, if the plactic top bit was warm then it was losing heat.

Pretty sure that the one(s) I got will be unavailable now, too many years have passed, but I suggest that you look at the top bit and just get one that is plain and simple.

The other aspect is that opening them for a drink drops the temperature, so get 2 small ones. That way the second is unopened.

I got mine for the car, potentially long trips, but eventually found a 12 volt car kettle, so that is now the source of hot drinks when driving, or when I have the car.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I ended up getting a thermos ultimate, very pleased with it, coffee still v hot at the end of the day!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back