• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you been to Bass Rock (1 Viewer)

Seamoor

Have booked trip to Bass Rock June 28th 2011 for my husband. Can anyone tell me what focal length lenses would he need to take with him. Weather permitting he should be landing on the Rock. Thanks for your help and Happy New Year to all Good Birding for the year

If you're able to land on the rock (which is a fairly big if, as I think they need very calm conditions to do this safely) then he'll be able to get very close to birds, so fairly low focal lengths (<300mm) would be ideal I'd have thought. He might want more available in case they can't land though.

Agree with Andrew.I think they chum on the way out and you will get gannets dropping in to the sea all around-not that they are ever far away anyway. On the rock the birds are literally everywhere, right up to the path edges so having a shorter lens as well will help

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back