• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What have I got? (1 Viewer)

colhot

Hi all

selling my scope but I do not know exactly what model it is.

Can you help?

Reason being I am putting it on ebay with 2 lens and Velbon tripod and hide clamp.

thanks

colin

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 131
Nikon 78mm Fieldscope ED angled. It is a very nice scope, the 78mm equivalent of the 60mm Fieldscope II EDA. --AP

Last edited:
I am not aware an active collectors market for fieldscopes. Fieldscopes are actually relatively "new," commercialized by Kowa after the 1964 Olympics, with Nikon entering in the 1970's and Zeiss, Leica, and Swaro being latecomers in the 1990's.

Alexis, is this considered a collector's item ?

As Rick said, there aren't many scope collectors, certainly not as many as bino collectors, and there few bino collectors compared to camera collectors. This scope dates to the 1990s, so it isn't very old considering that many older scopes (e.g. Bushnell Spacemaster, B&L Discoverer, B&L Balscope) are in regular use. Old scopes don't go away, I think because scoping is so often limited by atmospheric conditions rather than optical quality at the most useful magnifications (~30x). My own everyday scope is the Nikon 78ED straight. It is so good in comparison to even the very latest big scopes that haven't been tempted to replace it, but I did get the Fieldscope 50ED for travel and hiking.

The scope in question here is an awesome field instrument, especially with any of Nikon's wide angle 30x eyepieces (I think the eyepiece shown in the picture is the 25x MC, not the 30x WF. They actually have the same true FOV, but the latter is delivered at higher mag).

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back