• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HD 82 Vs other equivalent scopes (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

Did not wish to start a new thread when there was a similar one, but I had a warning that it was too old. Hence here we go:

I am thinking of buying a scope (I do wear glasses) and, I would prefer the money to go to RSPB if possible. I had a look at the RSPB HD scope and a Swaro some time ago. There was a difference between the two, but I wasn't sure if it was significant enough to pay double the amount. I don't want to buy one and then replace it with another a few years later. Hence my questions.

1. What do people think of the RSPB HD 82 scope?
2. I notice the eyepiece is up to 50x, but other scopes go up to 60x. Is this an issue?
3. Lastly RSPB came out with a HD binocular and then quickly moved to a HDX bin which was better. Hence, should I wait for a while?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Jaysan

I had both until recently. They are excellent scopes but the Swarovski will give you better views especially in low light conditions.

Did not wish to start a new thread when there was a similar one, but I had a warning that it was too old. Hence here we go:

I am thinking of buying a scope (I do wear glasses) and, I would prefer the money to go to RSPB if possible. I had a look at the RSPB HD scope and a Swaro some time ago. There was a difference between the two, but I wasn't sure if it was significant enough to pay double the amount. I don't want to buy one and then replace it with another a few years later. Hence my questions.

2. I notice the eyepiece is up to 50x, but other scopes go up to 60x. Is this an issue?
3. Lastly RSPB came out with a HD binocular and then quickly moved to a HDX bin which was better. Hence, should I wait for a while?

Jaysan

Hi Jaysan

If you want to buy RSPB the HD scope is a good scope equivalent to the Zen Ray scope (award winning according to their blurb). The advantage of the 25-50 zoom is its wide angle. More modern zooms are wide angle and start at 25x and go to 60x eg the kowa zoom and swaro tx module. I volunteer for the RSPB and I don't know of any upgrades for this scope. Some folks are perfectly happy with 50x mag others seek 60x or higher.

With the HDX binocular no updates AFAIK but the old withdrawn HD model has now been updated with a new model which I have yet to see so can't comment on.

HTH's

Rspb 82 Hd

Hi Jaysan,

If you were interested I have an RSPB 82 HD for sale with the 25-50 and a 17w. I bought it from Viking on the 12th Feb2014 it was their demo scope. PM me if it is of interest.

Bob

Hi Jaysan

If you want to buy RSPB the HD scope is a good scope equivalent to the Zen Ray scope (award winning according to their blurb). The advantage of the 25-50 zoom is its wide angle. More modern zooms are wide angle and start at 25x and go to 60x eg the kowa zoom and swaro tx module. I volunteer for the RSPB and I don't know of any upgrades for this scope. Some folks are perfectly happy with 50x mag others seek 60x or higher.

With the HDX binocular no updates AFAIK but the old withdrawn HD model has now been updated with a new model which I have yet to see so can't comment on.

HTH's

Thanks HTH.

Sorry, haven't been logging in regularly. I have now picked up Bob's scope. Works a treat. Regards, Jaysan

Jaysan

I know that this thread started a little while ago but it seemed most relevant for my question. I recently came across the RSPB HD 82 scope at a reserve and the RSPB man was singing its praises, saying that at its current price it was very competitive. He thought in terms of performance that it was better than the Hawke Endurance ED 20-60 x 85, and probably even better than the top end of the Hawke scope range. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Have you had the opportunity to compare them?

I tried an Hawke Panorama with 20x60 zoom scope a few months back. It didn't impress me. The Opticron ES80ED was better.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back