• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newer model Swarovisions have NO Absam Ring! (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I recently looked through a new Swarovision 8.5x42 EL and I noticed the "Absam Ring" is gone! Swarovski must have improved the Swarovisions along the way. The "Absam Ring" is that small ring that is slightly out of focus as you look towards the edge of the FOV and then the edge is sharp again. Now it seems they are totally sharp right to the edge. Big improvement. For those with new Swarovisions have you noticed this in your binoculars?

I recently looked through a new Swarovision 8.5x42 EL and I noticed the "Absam Ring" is gone! Swarovski must have improved the Swarovisions along the way. The "Absam Ring" is that small ring that is slightly out of focus as you look towards the edge of the FOV and then the edge is sharp again. Now it seems they are totally sharp right to the edge. Big improvement. For those with new Swarovisions have you noticed this in your binoculars?

I know what the ring is and can see it in other bins (e.g. Nikon 10x42 LX/HG), but I never see it in my 8.5x42 SV (production immediately prior to FP version). Well, maybe "never" is technically inaccurate because once, in low light, while looking for changes in resolution off-axis, I found slightly higher degradation at the distance from the center that the ring would be. Even then, I couldn't see it as a ring in the overall view, as I can in some other bins. I don't have enough experience with earlier production SV to know for a fact that my unit is any better than past units.

--AP

Last edited:
The folks at Swarovski are laughing again...
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2817056&postcount=175

In my new EL 8x32 SV (Field pack pro) that I bought last year I was looking for this phenomenon, but I couldn't find it. But I don't know if it was ever present in former versions of this model.

Pileatus, link in post 3: :-O

Mark

Dennis, I can confirm that there has been no change to the optical design or parameters of the latest SV's ...... it's just your eyes ..... they've deteriorated to the point where you can no longer discern any 'Absam ring' (though if you check a pair of legacy Zen-Ray Prime HD's you might find an 'Absent ring' ! :) :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back