• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopter Setting Consistency (1 Viewer)

Hello,

There is a nice device to measure one's dioptre setting: my ophthalmologist has one in his office. His might be made by Zeiss. Do I expect binoculars, even a Zeiss binocular to to give me a reading as accurately and as consistently as my ophthalmologist does? Of course, I do not. As far as I know prescriptions are written in half dioptres, which suggests that an ophthalmic prescription may be just a starting point in setting one's binocular.

From the manual of one binocular, I learned to set the dioptre by focussing on something in the middle distance, maybe four metres.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

It is not critical to most people and most of the folks who get wrapped around the axle wanting to be certain they are EXACTLY at their prescription settings are unaware that THAT setting changes in small increments over large or small amounts of time and it is only their individual dioptric accommodation that makes the differences imperceptible.

Knowing your diopter setting remains the same from binocular to binocular is especially important for watchstanders on a warship in the middle of the ocean at midnight. That way, a person can be confident that the tiniest speck of light will be visible at the greatest possible distance. This could mean seconds more preparation time for an antiaircraft crew.

Bill

PS Isn’t the Dallas/Ft. Worth area part of Arkansas? :cat:

:eek!::-C

Knowing your diopter setting remains the same from binocular to binocular is especially important for watchstanders on a warship in the middle of the ocean at midnight. That way, a person can be confident that the tiniest speck of light will be visible at the greatest possible distance. This could mean seconds more preparation time for an antiaircraft crew.

Bill

PS Isn’t the Dallas/Ft. Worth area part of Arkansas? :cat:[/QUOTE

If your radar was fubar you swabbies were in a world of hurt at midnight mainly due to cruise liners being in the traffic lanes and watchmen being fast asleep with their teddy bears.:king:

I do appreciate your humor Chief, your wit always brings a smile.

Up till maybe 3 or 4 years ago my optician had to use his 1/8th dioptre optic to accurately measure my prescription, as I could repeatedly tell the difference.
He says he has rarely had to use this optic.
This means I could judge best focus to 1/16th dioptre.

Lately, my eyes are not so good and he only has to use his 1/4 dioptre glass.

He also had to quote my mild astigmatism to 2.5 degrees, as I could repeatedly judge this.
In other words +/- 1.25 degrees.

He would write the prescription to 1/8th dioptre and 2.5 degrees but I am not sure how accurately the lenses were made.
Lately, it is 1/4 dioptre and 2.5 degrees.

My eyes get tired now rather quickly, and the prescription then becomes a bit academic.

Bill

PS Isn’t the Dallas/Ft. Worth area part of Arkansas? :cat:[/QUOTE

If your radar was fubar you swabbies were in a world of hurt at midnight mainly due to cruise liners being in the traffic lanes and watchmen being fast asleep with their teddy bears.:king:

I do appreciate your humor Chief, your wit always brings a smile.

Hi, JoeJ:

As you might imagine, that was “thunk up” prior to WWII. At that time, not all ships had radar or sensitive radar (see the Army’s best in Tora, Tora, Tora). It has been said that we are always preparing to fight the LAST war.

In the Naval Reserve, I was assigned to “Naval Control of Shipping.” We were the people who organized and routed convoys. This was in the 80s and 90s and many voices were talking about the obsolescence of the program. Yet, that’s what we were being trained to do.

As an aside, while working on night-vision gear at Ft. Lewis, I learned that some of the solders almost demanded getting the same night-vision device each time they went on petrol, so they didn’t have to “fiddle with” a focus knob. I don’t think anyone who is so slow of thought as to have problems turning a large, grooved focus wheel should be allowed to handle dangerous weapons. But that’s just me.

Cheers,

Bill

PS That is CHIEF swabbie to you. But if you were an 06 or above ... Your Highness will do. 8-P

Has anyone noticed that they may have a different diopter setting from one pair of binoculars to another, or is it just me?

Even within the same brand \ line of binocular I find slight differences. Of course there are build tolerances to take into account, so that could explain the slight difference. However, what is most curious to me, is that some diopters have me firmly in the + side (e.g. habichts) while others in the - side (zeiss dialyt & 8x25 victory). I'm usually about +/-.7 from the zero marking on all of them.

Overall this surprises me as Id expect consistency in this setting from experience with other types of optical devices that sell individual screw on diopter correction lenses, and one needs to know their Rx before ordering. Then again, i dont see why it should matter if the setting is easily adjustable like on a binocular. But to be on either side of zero?

Not really worried about anything, just curious and wondering if others might share their experience with this.

Only in certain settings does knowing your—at rest diopter settings—matter much. But you probably should know the difference between “setting zero diopters” and focusing your binocular. I have seen more than one Internet article on “setting zero diopters” that had NOTHING to do with setting zero diopters but which shows a slow-talking demonstrator extrapolating how to do what you have probably known how to do since childhood.

Let’s get to the brass tacks.

1) For many people, trying to match the optometrist’s prescription is an exercise in futility in that although it can make you feel warm and fuzzy it often relies on your brain and ciliary muscles to accommodate that setting. Also, that’s why prescriptions change. I’m pleased for those whose prescriptions never change and whose diopter settings remain constant. And, those folks are out there.

But, for the majority of observers, I will let my observation concerning diopter settings changing slightly day to day or hour to hour stand knowing medical science will back me up. This is especially true considering the effects of fatigue, sickness, stimulants, depressants, and other factors.

2) Many to most of today’s binoculars don’t have a way for the consumer to “set zero diopters,” even if he knew what to do and wanted to. It’s like the myriad Internet articles that tell the observer how to “collimate” his or her binocular when NONE get around to addressing the clinical activity rightfully called “collimation.”

3) For those with binos on which Zero diopters can actually be set, here is the procedure:

a) With an auxiliary telescope, focus on a collimator reticle or bright star (WHILE JUST STARING)—Jupiter and Saturn are not at infinity but their distance from earth is too far to walk. Take five readings on the auxiliary scope’s diopter ring. Throw out the highest reading, the lowest reading, and average the other three. Then, don’t mess with the aux scope anymore. Now, superimpose your binocular between your infinity target—collimator or celestial body—and the auxiliary telescope. Turn the binocular’s diopter ring until you get the sharpest image. This is zero diopters, which means nothing until you set the binocular’s diopter ring to zero and fasten it down.

b) If you are doing this for many older binoculars and some in production (the MTs and FMT Fujinons), you will be able to set zero diopters accurately. In the attached drawing you will see how most old military binos are set. Sometimes there is a pin protruding from the EP and the diopter ring and you just position the diopter rings accordingly. If the instrument has been repaired WITHOUT zero diopters being set, you may have to drill into the EP (slightly) to install a new pin. If you don’t want aluminum shavings between the field lens and the rear eyelens, you need to be very careful.

The second illustration shows a Swift Seahawk/Fujinon AR/Bushnell Navigator, etc (all the same) with a thin aluminum ring around the top of the EP. Often the diopter rings on these binos had to be broken away. When replaced, the new ring could be set to zero diopters and those three screws tightened to hold the ring in place.

In most cases, this has been useless information (my version of stacking BBs). I just wanted those who feel they have a need to know ... to know.

Also, some people worry about having their diopter settings fixed when one minute their target is 30 feet away and the next it 120 feet away. This concern is as irrelevant as it is intuitive. Once you have each eye focussed sharply, turning the center focus wheel is necessary to focus at various distances. However, your main concern is that the dioptric difference in your eyes stays the same at all distances. If setup correctly there will be no problem.

A client once told me she ALWAYS focused he right eye first, as it was her dominant eye and her optometrist said she should ALWAYS focus it first. I really hate having to follow a professional optometrist with a pooper scooper. But if you follow this advice, you might as well sell your Zeiss or Leica and by a bushel of TASCOs. Eye dominance is irrelevant! You focus a center-focus binocular IN THE ORDER IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE FOCUSSED. That is USUALLY—but not always—left side first.
:cat:

Cheers,

Bill

PS An important point that I left out and had to be reminded by Cory: use your dominant eye. The Internet can tell you how to figure that one out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 8.48.39 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 8.48.39 PM copy.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 3.21.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 3.21.43 PM.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that they may have a different diopter setting from one pair of binoculars to another, or is it just me?

Even within the same brand \ line of binocular I find slight differences.

Yep, and yep. I just tried to line up three pairs of porros to show the variation in the right eyepiece diopter between them, but couldn't get the shot I wanted. One is a little above (+) the 0 setting, one a little below (-) and one almost right in the corner.

I do sometimes have to adjust the diopter setting (normally just a little) through the course of a long observation session and/or especially when changing viewing distances (say from a mile plus to a half mile and less). I need to do this much more with the old porros that I use straight to the eyes than the roof binoculars with longer eye relief I use with glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back