• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 10x50BA -Lens Blemish (1 Viewer)

Merlin

Hi
I would appreciate any advice.
I have a pair of Leica 10X50 BA and there is a blemish what would appear to be on the outside of one of the objective lens, it resembles an opaque 'bubble'. I have tried to clear with the normal cloths and cleaners but it has no effect, this makes the Binoculars unusable as the view is distorted by the blemish.
I would appreciate any advice and/or any information where I can have them examined/repaired.

Thanking you in anticipation

regards

Merlin

If they are very recently bought as new, take them back to the dealer and ask for a replacement, if they are older or secondhand but within the warranty period, contact Leica UK, and if they are out of warranty contact:
http://binocular-repair.co.uk/

Gary Hawkins who runs this repair company has worked for Leica (and Zeiss) and is the official repairer for Zeiss UK. He knows Leicas inside out and is the right man for the job.

Good luck.

Lee

Hi Merlin,
Can we see a photo of the blemish?

It could be that the coating has lifted somehow and created a bubble.

Bubbles in glass are usually small and I have never heard of one developing.

Is it a foreign substance stuck to the objective?

To me, a possible explanation may be that there is stubborn grease on the front surface of the objective.
Baader Optical Wonder fluid might help.
I had this problem with the used Samyang 85mm f/1.4 lens, which otherwise looked as new. At first I made it worse, but the next day the fluid/grease had gone.

Or some oil on the internal rear surface.

A separated objective where the balsam has failed might have happened, but I am not sure this would be visible in normal use.

The coating layer is so thin, if it separated I think it would have to trap oil or water underneath, but I have never seen this.

Photos may help us see a likely cause.

Last edited:
They can be repaired as Lee has provided that info, and as they are well traveled a cleaning and tuneup on other parts of the instrument would be beneficial. Subsequently, it will perform well for years.

Andy W.

Hi Binastro

Thanks for your response and comments.
I have endeavoured to take a photograph but it reflects the light and shows a reflection of the 'camera/Ipad

It resembles an opaque oil slick.

Thanks for your help

best regards

Merlin

Hi Andy

Thank you for responding, given the use that these have had I think your advice is sound.

best regards
Merlin

lI can understand that this is disturbing, but a blemish on the objective surface would not make the binocular unusable. It would merely reduce the light throughput somewhat. You can focus on objects 3 m or 4 m distant but you can't focus on the objective surface.
Teardrops on ocular surfaces are not uncommon and as these consist largely of common salt, they are not soluble in organic solvents like alcohol or acetone. Try using a moistened cosmetic tissue or miccrofibre cloth and if that fails try saliva on a clean fingertip. The enzymes in saliva can be effective , when all else fails.

John

Hi John

Thanks for your response

Believe me they are unusable, the blemish creates a blurred and distorted image through that one lens.
I have tried many 'cleaners' including my finger tip without success.

best regards

Merlin

I'm curious about one thing. Did this blemish appear overnight, so to speak, or did it start small and steadily become worse?

Bob

I bought my Ultravid BRs in 2008 or 9. Back then they came with a lifetime "no fault" Passport warranty. I used it one time when they were brand new to upgrade that old notchy focus problem, but no issues since. I know Leica downgraded their warranty policy since then, but your BA's might have it. I would send them into Leica hoping for a warranty repair, but at worst get a price quote to repair.

Hi Pileatus

I have some lens cleaning fluid in a mini-aerosol which I applied and tried to clean with a Leica lens cloth.

best regards

Merlin

For it to create a distorted image suggests it is acting as a lens on a lens.

My chemist friend says that if it were salt, ordinary water is required.

Glass is pretty inert, and front elements are usually hard, although inside elements are fairly soft, especially newer exotic glass types.
But coatings are usually harder than the glass, although with age they can deteriorate.
My chemist friend also says that only certain acids affect the front type of glass. Glass beakers take ages to etch in the laboratory, even with acids.

I suppose Leica still has replacement objectives if this is needed, but they may know how to remove the blemish.

It could be, as suggested, be a globule of cleaning fluid or other foreign substance.

P.S.
Merlin,
I think it is the aerosol.

I saw the clever salesman use an aerosol in the camera shop that I visited daily, and where I was the unofficial optics guy.

Big mistake.
A whole lot of stuff came out of the aerosol can and deposit on the camera lens.
It took ages for him to get rid of it.
In short.
Don't use aerosol sprays on optics.

Last edited:
I saw the clever salesman use an aerosol in the camera shop that I visited daily, and where I was the unofficial optics guy.

Big mistake.
A whole lot of stuff came out of the aerosol can and deposit on the camera lens.
It took ages for him to get rid of it.
In short.
Don't use aerosol sprays on optics.

This may or may not have been the cause of your problem, who knows, but is sound advice at all times. Never spray directly onto lens surfaces; always apply to cloth or lens tissue first, before applying to lens!

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back