• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

Meare Heath late morning held 2 Glossy Ibis, a Great White and 2 Little Egrets, 3 drake Garganey and an Otter. No hirrundines though. Roger

Date and time: 01 April, 1200- 1400
Conditions: 3/8-6/8 cloud cover, bright with showery intervals, stiff SW wind, 10-12 C,

Records of note:

Peregrine
Pair of cranes
12 roe deer

Comment: Little activity of note.

Fantastic pictures! I have never seen a crane before but I would love to ... are they commonly spotted in West Moor?

I went for a birding stroll last Sunday in Clevedon. I went up this lovely path called 'Poets Walk' (it's the hill next to the marine swimming pool) and the views were beautiful. Lots of Blackbirds and Robins were singing, and a Sparrowhawk was circling in the open above us. Not long before she was being mobbed by Crows and hid in the trees! We also saw Rock Pipits, Willow Warblers, Buzzards and the usual Gulls.

No birds that were particularly unusual but none the less work derful to see Spring come alive.

Had a brief walk to the Avalon hide at Ham Wall for the boys to stretch their legs today. Great White Egrets, Cettis, Blackcaps, Kestrel, Marsh Harrier, Glossy Ibis, Hobby, Cattle Egret, Little Egret etc. etc. were all see on the short walk. Also bumped into Adrian - a photographer from Glynneath and a very decent bloke.

Rich

Cracking morning at Shapwick Heath/ Ham Wall this today with my old man. Bitterns booming everywhere and good numbers of Great White Egrets. Blackwits and male Garganey on the scrape.

Good numbers of Marsh Harriers and Cuckoos. Reed, Sedge, Garden Warblers along with Blackcaps and Reed Buntings.

Was 45 mins late for the Red Footed Falcon but had great views of the Little Bittern along with further great views of Bitterns.

Rich

Red footed falcon showing well at Hamwall this evening,
Best viewed from the wicker fish near car park,
Still hawking at 8.00pm when I left

Red-footed Falcon showing well but distant this evening. From the old Railway Biridge. Little Bittern baring away as well. Nothing of note at Greylake earlier today but it was a flying visit.

Rich

Little Bittern showed well in flight at Ham Wall this morning. Bittern, Marsh Harrier, Garden Warblers, Cuckoos, Bullfinch, LTT's, GSW, GWE's etc. also present.

Rich

Cheers Rich

Me and the wife are off to cattcott and avalon marsh on Saturday and Steart marsh on Sunday we will post sightings.

Cheers Stu

Fantastic places Stu. Hope you enjoy.

Rich

Hi Rich

They are mate and we are so lucky to have all these stunning reserves only a very short drive away.

always so much wonderful stuff to see at all these wetland and woodland sites

will definitely post sightings up sat and sun eves :t:

cheer stu

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back