• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guatemalan Birds in October (1 Viewer)

My suggestions:
#1: apparently immature Spot-breasted Oriole (some wing pattern visible)
#2: Altamira Oriole (left) + 2 Spot-breasted Orioles (right)
#3: Spot-breasted Oriole (left) + apparently immature Altamira Oriole (right), but not sure on this one given the angle

My suggestions:
#1: apparently immature Spot-breasted Oriole (some wing pattern visible)
#2: Altamira Oriole (left) + 2 Spot-breasted Orioles (right)
#3: Spot-breasted Oriole (left) + apparently immature Altamira Oriole (right), but not sure on this one given the angle

For interest, what's the reason for going with Altamira in #2 &3?

I think the spot-breasted are safe. angles are not good for the birds that could possibly be Altamira, but the books note that young spot-breasted sometimes have no spots on the breast and wing pattern is necessary for id. I think I would leave those as undecided.

Niels

For interest, what's the reason for going with Altamira in #2 &3?

As stated above, they were really suggestions, not real IDs as I usually try to present, so please take them with a pinch of salt...
#2 It seems to be a full adult, no? I went mainly on the black throated pattern, with neat edges. It also appeared a bit more robust than the others further to the back.
#3 not sure at all again (perhaps best left as Oriole sp....), based my suggestion again on throat pattern (bearing in mind Spot-breasted can show such a pattern) and apparently shorter bill (which I'm aware is slightly foreshortened from the angle).
This said, I'd like to hear also arguments to not make them Altamira, to cover all possibilities (in doubt I'd leave them unidentified). What do you think?

As stated above, they were really suggestions, not real IDs as I usually try to present, so please take them with a pinch of salt...
#2 It seems to be a full adult, no? I went mainly on the black throated pattern, with neat edges. It also appeared a bit more robust than the others further to the back.
#3 not sure at all again (perhaps best left as Oriole sp....), based my suggestion again on throat pattern (bearing in mind Spot-breasted can show such a pattern) and apparently shorter bill (which I'm aware is slightly foreshortened from the angle).
This said, I'd like to hear also arguments to not make them Altamira, to cover all possibilities (in doubt I'd leave them unidentified). What do you think?

That they are in company with Spot-breasted? Not impossible to have two species this close together but perhaps less likely. Were there any certain Altamiras in the area?

Niels

For 3) I wondered if it's spot-breasted as there's quite extensive grey at the bill base but I agree these are best oriole sp.

For 3) I wondered if it's spot-breasted as there's quite extensive grey at the bill base but I agree these are best oriole sp.
Agree with leaving them unidentified, given the wings are not visible. Unless there are more pics of the same birds from other angles... Jeff, would there be more images? I guess there probably aren't but...

Jeff, would there be more images? I guess there probably aren't but...

Sorry, no more pictures... This was about 6 years ago and I wasn't a birder back then! But even a Spot-breasted Oriole will be a lifer for me!

I did notice that they seem a bit larger than the Spot-breasted Orioles. Any thoughts on that?...

Sorry, no more pictures... This was about 6 years ago and I wasn't a birder back then! But even a Spot-breasted Oriole will be a lifer for me!

I did notice that they seem a bit larger than the Spot-breasted Orioles. Any thoughts on that?...

Yes, it does seem like that, but they weren't all at the same distance from you, so this is rather difficult to assess correctly on photos like these...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back