• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oleaginous Hemispingus (1 Viewer)

Think the photo is probably pale-legged warbler. It shows pale orangy legs and a very striking bright supercilium: should be muted supercilium and grey legs for the hemispingus.

Both species are recorded from Paty according to ebird [I remember seeing oleaginous hemispingus there]. Note that a photo from this set is on the Peruaves page for the hemispingus: I think this is wrongly identified too. [First photo here:

http://www.peruaves.org/thraupidae/oleaginous-hemispingus-hemispingus-frontalis/

]

Thanks for flagging this up The Fern ... bit late at night for me now, but will check it out tomorrow (obviously I've not a clue personally but will pass it on to those who probably do!)

Meanwhile could you have a look at the bottom two pictures here: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/search.php?searchid=395391 and let me know if you think either/both of those are correctly identified and I'll replace the article picture.

Agree that's a Myiothlypis warbler not a Hemispingus. However I think it should be Citrine for Senda Paty as a loc unless I've got something mixed up?

I haven't even begun to look at details of the photos and don't remember how to distinguish the two off the top of my head (aside from voice), just that I think Citrine is far far more likely at Senda Paty.

Different photos, Niels, at least the ones I'm seeing! The photo that I see on the Opus page for Oleaginous Hemispingus at the moment is a warbler, likely Citrine Warbler. The photo in the ID thread you linked to is indeed Oleaginous Hemispingus.

Sorry Josh, What I thought I said was that the bird in the first link I gave had been discussed in the thread I then linked to. I did not disagree that the Opus image needs to be replaced.

Niels

Different photos, Niels, at least the ones I'm seeing! The photo that I see on the Opus page for Oleaginous Hemispingus at the moment is a warbler, likely Citrine Warbler. The photo in the ID thread you linked to is indeed Oleaginous Hemispingus.

Coming back to this in daylight and despite too little sleep brave enough to make some comments...

According to the "ever reliable" ebird, pale-legged is at Paty trail. Not sure what this says about altitude: without checking I remember the trail descends quite a bit (pale - legged the lower species).

I didn't properly consider citrine y'day (=this am), now I'm torn. Pro pale-legged = lores greyish not black, no forehead/crown black, generally muted colours, perhaps supercilium doesn't "pop" as much as citrine. Pro citrine : extent of supercilium (might expect it to extend further), apparent bill shape.

I remember seeing oleaginous hemispingus at Paty but really can't remember which warblers

According to the "ever reliable" ebird, pale-legged is at Paty trail. Not sure what this says about altitude: without checking I remember the trail descends quite a bit (pale - legged the lower species).

Looking at bar charts for Senda Paty and the Carpish Tunnel hotspots, Citrine is common at both and Pale-legged has very very few at either (few enough to be well within the "eBird margin of error" if you will for erroneous IDs and birds logged at wrong locations and the like).

I've not tried to do Pale-legged vs Citrine on just views in a long time and given what I saw in distribution data it looked like a pretty sealed case (assuming the location given in the photo attribution is correct of course) so I still haven't tried to make a case on the base of the photo...

Cheers all!
Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back