• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-tailed Hawk Juvenile? Jacksonville, Florida (1 Viewer)

Newton-W

This was taken 7/9/2020 in Jacksonville, Florida. What have I got here? Juvenile Red-tailed or adult. Is it even a Red-tailed or something else?
Any help is appreciated.

Newton

Attachments

• Red-tailed Hawk JUV-01a.JPG
    Red-tailed Hawk JUV-01a.JPG
    680 KB · Views: 26
  • Red-tailed Hawk JUV-02a.JPG
    Red-tailed Hawk JUV-02a.JPG
    586.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Agree with Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.

I note that my copy of Wheeler's "Raptors of Eastern North America" shows at Plate #367 a photo of a soaring Eastern (borealis) juvenile Red-tailed Hawk with very similar chest markings. There is also this note below the photo: Note: B.j. umbrinus similar.

Bob

Agree with Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.

I note that my copy of Wheeler's "Raptors of Eastern North America" shows at Plate #367 a photo of a soaring Eastern (borealis) juvenile Red-tailed Hawk with very similar chest markings. There is also this note below the photo: Note: B.j. umbrinus similar.

Bob

Thank you Bob for taking the time to dig into this for me. I suspected Red-tailed and juvenile hawk in general, but the pattern on its legs confused me a bit. I did a little research before posting and just couldn't find a match that had the same leg markings. Juveniles of most species give me a hard time.

Newton

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back