• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GOOSE EXPERTS: LOOK HERE! Greater White-Fronted x Canada Goose Hybrid? (1 Viewer)

graciela

I found this awesome goose hybrid in Northern Illinois, USA, hanging out with some Canada Geese. This is a valid question because I have been trying to figure this out for awhile now... :D

Attachments

• 100_3719.jpg
    100_3719.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 508
Looks a bit like the one we have here which is a CanadaxGreylag hybrid, the head bill and feet are exact but yours has a white under belly.

Attachments

• DSC00086 (2).jpg
    DSC00086 (2).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 212
thanks for the ideas guys!
isn't he such a cute goose though? i was so excited to see him, but my friend who is not such a bird lover said we should get on with our bike ride... :D
but i'm still not sure... why does this goose have so much more white on its belly than the other canada-greylag crosses?

Canada Goose X domestic Swan Goose !

not with an all dirty orange bill, i´d say there must be greylag and canada goose blood in this. (Swan goose has a black bill as canada goose and hybrids of these two)

however as there are the white feather areas on the body the "greylag" must have been a domestic goose. and some domestic geese are in fect hybrids domestic greylag x domestic swan goose (Chinese goose),

so this bird might also have some chinese goose genes--but I see nothing to proove this on the photo.

so why do you think chinese goose , Vinch?

Joern Lehmus posts here! Excellent!

(I've IDed several waterfowl hybrids in the past by cross-referencing to Joern's "hybrid birds" Flickr group , but have been unable to create a Flickr account for myself because Yahoo hates me...)

Joern, what do you think of this goose hybrid? http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=180603

Dear Steve, it is not " my " group at flickr . The person to be credited for this good idea and for organizing all the threads at the hybrid birds group is Dave Appleton (who also has a lotof experience with hybrid waterfowl), not me!

I just participate, but you are right-- it is a great group and good as a reference if you want to find out what the odd waterfowl hybrid is that you might encounter-- there are also several other people with a lot of knowledge in this field posting there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back