• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cruise Birds/Tampa, Mexico. (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Cruise Birds/Tampa Florida & Mexico.

Our cruise was more fun and better than expected. Because of all the things to see and do, I didn't really focus on birding. We spent half a day trying to bird at the ruins of Tulum, near Cozumel Mexico, but I was just blow-en away by the ruins! Anyway, here's what we saw! I still have 5 more to ID. I'll probably be asking for your help here today.

Mexico
12/8/04
Observers: Lisa, me
Notes: Tulum and Cozumel
--------------------------------------
6 species.

Sandwich Tern (Sterna sandvicensis)
Boat-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus major)
Melodious Blackbird (Dives dives)
Great Kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus)
Tropical Mockingbird (Mimus gilvus)
White-tipped Dove (Leptotila verreauxi)

Tampa bay
12/6/04
Observers: Lisa, me
--------------------------------------
10 species.

Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)
White Ibis (Eudocimus albus)
Laughing Gull (Larus atricilla)
Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea)
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea)
Black Skimmer (Rynchops niger)
Great Egret (Ardea alba)
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)
Sooty Shearwater (Puffinus griseus)

I wish I could say "It's good to be back", but I really want to be back in Mexico! It was 80F - 90F all the time, and here in Cleveland, it's snowing and cold!

Mike

Last edited:
Mike,
Glad to hear you had a great trip. I know what you mean about enjoying the warm weather in Mexico, this is the best time of year there. Your bird list is pretty good being from a boat and of all the ruins to bird, Tulum is probably the least productive for birding (though an incredible ruin / location). One bird you might double check the ID on is the Boat-tailed Grackle, in the Yucatan this would probably be the Great-tailed Grackle, a very similar bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back