• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch with Bill Oddie (1 Viewer)

Debbie Chapman

Springwatch with Bill Oddie
BBC TWO Good Friday (25 March), 7.00pm
(repeated on Easter Sunday)

Halfway through one of the most unusual springs in living memory, Bill Oddie, Kate Humble and Simon King report on what’s been happening to British wildlife. Spring is the most crucial season as creatures emerge from hiding or hibernation and the breeding season begins with courtship, birdsong, and nest building. Yet despite being a wonderful time of re-emergence, birth and renewal, spring is also a time of jeopardy for many species.

In January, the BBC and the Woodland Trust launched the biggest ever survey into the arrival of spring across the UK, inviting the public to watch out for the first appearance of six key species in their region and record their findings at bbc.co.uk/springwatch. Bill and Kate will introduce the findings so far, and show viewers how they can still get involved with the survey and help build the most complete picture of the season as it unfolds across the country.

If spring is coming earlier to the UK, this can have major implications for wildlife. Creatures have evolved to suit the local environment and conditions, and change usually spells bad news for them. Last year, BBC TWO launched the Make Space for Nature campaign, demonstrating to viewers how simple acts such as putting up a bumblebee box or starting a compost heap really can make a difference to British wildlife. Making space for nature is even more important if the climate becomes more unpredictable and wildlife has to react to unusual weather conditions.

Whilst Simon King encounters some of the amazing wildlife of the British Isles, Bill and Kate will revisit the Devon farm, scene of last years Britain Goes Wild with Bill Oddie to catch up with its wild inhabitants and see how the badgers and bird families have coped with spring so far. They will also introduce the ‘Springwatch Squad’ who are travelling all over the country to capture spring’s arrival. As well as looking for the key signs of spring the Springwatch Squad will be looking for iconic spring species such as cuckoo and bluebells and meeting passionate wildlife people along the way.

Hi Debbie, "Welcome to Birdforum", on behalf of all the Moderators and Staff here.

Pete's not the only one to suspect where you're coming from ;)

Have the scheduling department been told that Bill Oddie's programmes are not to be messed with?

Look forward to hearing more updates from you.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hello Debbie and welcome to Bird Forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bill & the Team again this Friday....even more than an Easter Egg LOL

GILL

Welcome to Birdforum Debbie.

As always, I look forward to anything Bill Oddie presents, and this one will be no exception. I too am wondering if you have any part to play in this programme.

Whatever, it is a very good first posting from you. Your next posting should be in the Hello forum so many more members can welcome you aboard.

Debbie Chapman BBC Press Office Bristol???

If you do a search you will find that a thread already discussing this programme exists, with exactly the same title!

However, welcome to Birdforum.

Dave

Last edited:
hello Debbie! - someone from the inside of the BBC? - thanks for the reminder, any chance you could tell those in charge to put Bill Oddie on TV at least once per week, for say....1hour, every week of the year, cheers.......

I may indeed have insider information on Bill Oddie's programmes, which I would be more than happy to share with the Bird Forum should you wish to hear it.

Next programme coming up is of course, the main series of Springwatch with Bill Oddie on BBC Two.

Debbie

I'll have to remember to catch the main series, because I missed this one the other day. It's quite a pain sometimes with BBC2 programmes in Wales, as they tend to shift them about and put them on at different times to the rest of the UK. I hadn't read the listings properly and was expecting it at 7, only to find it had already been on here at 6. Or something like that. (I've forgotten already!)

Hi Debbie, I'm with Gill and Salty on this one, any chance of telling the powers that be a few more nature programmes wouldn't go amiss?! Ooh and a bit more of Bill Oddie(now he's actually worth the license fee!) Welcome aboard by the way!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back