• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorants coming upriver during high-water (1 Viewer)

SeattleDan

Cormorant numbers here seem to grow when the river is swollen after a storm. They play or hunt in the fast, muddy water.

Does anyone know why? Am I just imagining this?

hi dan

They will be hunting for fish always opportunists when conditions look right for them
like the mergansers are goosander over in the uk them and cormorant are not the
fishermans best friend unfortuneately but I love to see them.

I was just looking at your avatar picture (profile picture) can,t be certain but is that a
female house sparrow if so did you photograph her and where ?

OK, here is a theory. The Cormorants are more active and mobile because normal hunting is more challenging under the circumstances. I've seen some agitated ducks here also, just not as visible, or often.

House sparrow

coal tit: Yes, the "Avatar" is a House Sparrow I photographed on my deck
Well thanks for the info is the house
sparrow a resident there in seattle and if so have their numbers dropped
in recent times i ask this because in the uk they were always about
cheeping away but since then their numbers have fallen considerably
two of the main reasons being house,s and new homes do not permit
in a lot of cases access under guttering and roofing tiles in to loft space
to nest and breed but more so agricultural practices have effected
their feeding habits, where you might have seen a flock of 80/120 birds you might be lucky to see 50 or more now at a given time of the year.

English Sparrows are still, our most common Sparrow. I've never seen flocks of the size you describe there. Certainly, building codes and practices make houses "bird unfriendly," while removing natural habitat. You birders, you "citizen/scientists," have my admiration.

I read here that Starling populations in the UK are also challenged? Well, you can have ours if you can catch them. There are plenty to go around in the U.S.. I only wish they tasted better.

Sorry, my humor isn't for everyone. I like Sparrows and Starlings... no, really. One would think, as a descendant of feral Brits, I would be more empathetic to my fellow beasties. We are tenacious at least, eh?

Last edited:
Cormorants

OK, here is a theory. The Cormorants are more active and mobile because normal hunting is more challenging under the circumstances. I've seen some agitated ducks here also, just not as visible, or often.

Dan you say you see this behaviour often in muddy conditions do you
notice how "successful" they are in catching fish as a group of birds
however "active" they are or "mobile" when they go beneath the water
"vision" will have to play a part in how successful they are and it will
be the "biggest part" in catching fish, the active and mobile part might
in someway to them be a way of disorientating the fish.

We got more rain and my river is brown. So today, I will make it a point to watch the Cormorants more carefully

I think what I'm seeing is "busy-ness," because more activity is required per ounce of protein, eh?

Last edited:
House sparrow /starling

English Sparrows are still, our most common Sparrow. I've never seen flocks of the size you describe there. Certainly, building codes and practices make houses "bird unfriendly," while removing natural habitat. You birders, you "citizen/scientists," have my admiration.

I read here that Starling populations in the UK are also challenged? Well, you can have ours if you can catch them. There are plenty to go around in the U.S.. I only wish they tasted better.

Sorry, my humor isn't for everyone. I like Sparrows and Starlings... no, really. One would think, as a descendant of feral Brits, I would be more empathetic to my fellow beasties. We are tenacious at least, eh?
hahaha all is
forgiven :) You say there are plenty of starlings to go around in the U.S.
its such a big country i wonder if people would notice a drop in numbers
there, them and sparrows were always round one time here and yes
their numbers have plummeted to what they were here theres no mistakeing
when they are feeding their young in the nest when you hear the young
calling out i always find a typical nesting site when out in the country if
if not in masonry it would be in a bole hole of a mature ash tree with
perhaps a bracket fungus growing nearby and just a few branches or a
whole crown of branches above thou it has never been pointed out to me
I have always noticed the starling here seems to prefer the ash tree to
any other tree to nest in be it crevice or bole hole another one for the
scientists to work out :) but its been one of the many features i have
seen when out, strangely enough at this very time we do have a hugh
starling roost in the north of my county in the peak district estimates
have put it at 50,000 wintering birds from observers watching them it would certainly
be a sight worth watching predators like peregrine have been trying their
luck amongst this roost and one usual hunting method was recorded
from a peregine in to the starlings anyway nice shareing with you dan.. :t:

Cormorants

We got more rain and my river is brown. So today, I will make it a point to watch the Cormorants more carefully

I think what I'm seeing is "busy-ness," because more activity is required per ounce of protein, eh?
Well i feel confident somehow with what
we have mentioned together it,ll be one or thee other
thats the answer but again hitting the nail on the head (a term we use over
here) to being positive is something that would need more research on.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back