• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roost distance (1 Viewer)

Peter Gibb

Hello

I am new to the world of Bats other than knowing they are about of course,
and its been an eyeopener to say the least, am enjoying it very much.

I would like to ask after getting an understanding of the way a Bats day goes
and as I seem to have nightly activity that is very predictable.

At around 21.45 the Bats, 3 maybe 4 different types are about, the Pipistrelle
being by far the most frequent, one species which only arrives now and again
has a very much deeper tone which is far less rapid, it reminds me of underwater sonar.

Anyway, I was wondering if there maybe a roost very close by ? as due to
the Bats early arrival, typically 21.45 each evening before its really dark, it's
almost on cue ?

I am able to prop my detector up on my window sill and await it all to kick off,
whereupon, I have evenings listening to and watching them right through
until Midnight, with Bats passing by or circling around and feeding every few minutes or so,
even less in most cases..

Thanks, I am very much enjoying all this and getting to learn about the different
types of Bat and their calls has been brilliant

Regards, Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back