• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assnyt area (1 Viewer)

WhiteTailed22

I'm climbing Stac Pollaidh next Wednesday and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good birding / sites in the Assynt area? Been while since i've been up there and even then, it was more the Achmelvich area. Would be great to see some divers in their summer plumage.

I'm actually going to be stationed in Dornoch so if anyone could recommend places there too, that would be even better.

When you're in the Assynt area, just stop and scan at every loch you pass. A lot of them have divers.

Have you time to get hold of Gordon Hamlett's book, Best Birdwatching Sites Scottish Highlands. It's excellent and covers the area well. If you're lucky he might look in on this thread and pop in with some advice.

I'm sure others will be along soon with some ideas for you that know the area better than me.

When you're in the Assynt area, just stop and scan at every loch you pass. A lot of them have divers.

Have you time to get hold of Gordon Hamlett's book, Best Birdwatching Sites Scottish Highlands. It's excellent and covers the area well. If you're lucky he might look in on this thread and pop in with some advice.

I'm sure others will be along soon with some ideas for you that know the area better than me.

I will second Delia's comments about GH's book - excellent information throughout.

Sorry, only just saw this post. For Dornoch area, see post 4 in the thread below for my list, and also what's in the area. Most sightings around Loch Fleet, The Mound, Balblair Wood, Embo to Dornoch beach walk. Walk Highlands has some good walks in the area. Lovely place - enjoy!
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=354013

Last edited:
I was in Sutherland last week. There was a fair amount to see, particularly raptors. In eastern Sutherland e.g. around Dornoch and Loch Fleet, you should see Osprey and Red Kite easily. The viewpoint at Little Assynt is a good place to scan for raptors. I saw more divers on the sea than on freshwater. Golspie was particularly good for Black-throated Divers, with quite a few present, all in summer plumage.

Andrew, i think it may have been you i met at Dornoch Point last week? we were chatting about the Sanderlings. I asked you if you had seen any skuas?
Also do you drive a Mini if you do then it was definitely you!

Dean

Andrew, i think it may have been you i met at Dornoch Point last week? we were chatting about the Sanderlings. I asked you if you had seen any skuas?
Also do you drive a Mini if you do then it was definitely you!

Dean

Yes, I think that would have been me. The mini was a hire car, so I don't normally drive one! Good to meet you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back