• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatchers baffle me. (1 Viewer)

Miedin

Closet Birdwatcher
Aside from their call I can't tell these two flycatchers apart.

The first two are the same bird I saw today and was able to snap these poor quality pictures. I suspect it is an Eastern Wood-pewee because it never bobbed its tail and I was able to hear what sounded like the second part of its call.

The one on the right never made a sound but bobbed its tail quite a few times so I assume Eastern Phoebe.

Does anybody have any tips for distinguishing between these two birds?

Attachments

• flycatchers.jpg
    flycatchers.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 167
Pewee is as good a guess as any because of the dark sides of the breast, altough if pressed I would say "Traill's" Flycatcher, second bird is definitely a Phoebe. flycatchers baffle me as well, I usually group Empids into Least, Traill's, or forget it
Thomas

For Arizona you are correct, Katy, but for New Hampshire, it could just easily be either Willow or Alder Flycatcher, as Trail's was split rather than renamed.

However, this bird is neither one of those nor any other Empidonax. The bill looks too substantial, but the confirming detail is the primary projection is too long (the distance the feathers in the bottom part of the wings stick out beyond the rest, Mieden), but it is right for a Wood Pewee. The lack of a loral line (between eye and bill), and low throat contrast are also good for Pewee, bad for Trail's.

(I probably shouldn't mention this, Thomas, but worn Yellow-bellied Flycatchers can look very similiar to Least... :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: )

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back