• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bullfinches in my garden! (1 Viewer)

NickPatel92

hi this is nick patel, in my garden every day i have 2 pairs of bullfinches visiting my feeders and other things in my garden, they come daily, sometimes more than once in a day! are these good sightings for a sub-urban garden in preston?

I do not know about Preston Nick, but I only briefly see Bullfinches in the spring as buds come on the tree in my garden, they never look at my feeders and then move on within a couple of weeks. So I think you are very lucky to get them regularly as I am also semi urban.

I too am getting a pair of bullfinches on my feeders each day - not always together. If the male arrives without his missus he calls for her - she doesn't always arrive though! Feeding on sunflower seeds/sunflower hearts. Lovely birds. I'm thrilled to bits to have them.

Sandra
:cat:

The number of visitors to my garden over the past year certainly suggests to me that Bullfinches are doing better than they have for a while now. They're a beautiful bird with a very sweet call, and it's a treat to see them regularly.

During the winter we had a regular group of up to 14 adults, some of which have stayed around to breed. It has been lovely to see the parents bringing their young to the feeders, it makes me feel like I've helped them out a bit.

I've posted a few pics of them (including youngsters) here
http://www.nature-photos.biz/birdlist/bullfinch/index.htm

Hi Nick
I am semi rural aswell in north wales,we had 1 pair on the feeders a couple of
days ago but we mostly see them in the winter when they come to feed on
the sunflower seeds,most we ever had was 3 pairs in febuary
Hectorzaza

bullfinches

Hi Nick
That is a first class sighting, I have only ever seen a male bullfinch once and that was last year.
Could you tell me what you are using to attract them.
I regulary use niger seed to attract the goldfinch by the way.
cheers
pete

petecockney said:
Hi Nick
That is a first class sighting, I have only ever seen a male bullfinch once and that was last year.
Could you tell me what you are using to attract them.
I regulary use niger seed to attract the goldfinch by the way.
cheers
pete

in my garden, i have many feeders, but the ones that the bullfinches like to come to are the "seed feeders" which contain a mixed seed, containing mainly sunflower hearts, and a bit of seed grain, you know the average stuff. they also like peanut feeders! hope this helps!

p.s. try putting a feeder in somewhere with a quick escape route for the bird.

Hi all,
Just to second that point about sunflower hearts and bullfinches. Mine attracts a pair. Just need to get a picture of them now.

2 Bullfinches (male and female) again on my garden feeders this afternoon, and out of all the feeders, every time they come, they prefer to use the ones nearest to the windows, which is brilliant, as today i got great views of them in their astonishing colours, in the midday sun.

I live a little over a mile from Leeds city centre, but close to some mature woodland, and have had at least one pair of Bullfinches in the shared gardens of my block of flats for the last two or three years, but they never come to the feeder. The male was in song from the rooftop yesterday for the first time, though.

I do struggle to attract several of the residents to the dinner table- I also have a Great Spotted Woodpecker, Goldcrest, Goldfinches, Long-Tailed Tits and the occasional Chaffinch or Greenfinch visit the garden, but it is only Nuthatch, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Coal Tit that are regular diners, with Jay, Blackcap and Collared Dove as very occasional surprises. As well as the peanuts and fat balls I have tried several seed blends and also nyjer. If anyone can recommend something to bring the Bullfinches down from the silver birch I'd be very grateful.

Sadly my roosting Tawny Owl also seems to have moved on, or at least gone very quiet since the new year.

Maybe try De-husked Sunflower seeds on their own in a feeder, this seems to work for our Bullfinches. Also maybe have a Peanut feeder handy as well.

Nick Patel.

Hi Nick
Thanks for your reply, just another quick question for all out there.
I have a camera in a bird nesting box. On Christmas day a blue tit came into it and has arrived daily / evening since that time. Leaving every morning. There has been no sign of nest preparation, however i am sure that it will happen.
Question is : is this the male doing a recci and checking it out for the big day, or is it a female.

Have a nice day.

Normally around this time of year I get Bullfinches. They seem to disappear then for the rest of the year. I love getting them around, but I haven't seen any so far. I'd love to know how to permanently attract them, they're incredible birds!

Hello all, I too usually have atleast one pair of Bullfinches at this time of year on our Cherry tree but they have not turned up yet. Hopefully they will do soon. Never seen one on my feeders even when they were filled with sunflower hearts, nice to know that they use it though.

I'm lucky in that we have Bullfinches from early autumn right through until spring. In early autumn they appear to be attracted to rowan berries. In fact my autumn count max is 11 on the rowans. Like Ade, don't see them on feeders. Bad news is that 2 of my 4 large rowans were blown down in the recent gales. Have replaced with a couple of saplings.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back