• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

You Must See This From Nigel (1 Viewer)

I must point out that there was a great deal of careful preparation went into getting these images, so as not to cause any harm/distress to the birds.
I did not take any pictures on the first visit but watched what was happening and did some test firing of the flashguns to see what reaction the birds made to them.
Fortunately the nest was in a busy garden near to the house, so the robins would have already been used to outdoor and indoor lights being switched on and off, they did not take any notice of the flash guns at all! the robins would feed the Cuckoo at regular 3-4 minute intervals with about a 20 minute break between bursts of feeding.
Interestingly the young cuckoo mimiced the begging call of not one but a whole brood of robin chicks!!!
I would also stress that it is important to take the ultimate care when photographing nesting birds, If you have any doubts about the birds welfare then leave well alone.

Last edited:
stunning shot!!! :). This shot is on the inside cover of next months bird watching magasine also. Well done :clap:

Last edited:
Many thanks to all for the kind comments, this is a different shot to the one in Birdwatching, I have a sequence of 12 good images taken at the time, although i took about 50 in total most of the other shots had the robin obscuring the Cuckoo chick. see attached out-take.

Attachments

• out-take149t9726.jpg
    out-take149t9726.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Man that cuckoo looks like it could swallow the poor little robin whole, what a monster!

The out-take is also excellent

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back