• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jungfra in May/June (1 Viewer)

GH

I am visiting family in Basel at the end of May, but will be spending a couple of days in the Jungfrau region. Can anyone tell me what the chances are of seeing Alpine Chough, Snow finch and Wallcreeper are in this area at that time?

Also I would like to know of any good sites for both black and grey headed woodpecker. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Some chances...

I am not in the Jungfrau region myself but Alpine Chough can be seen almost anywhere in the Alps above about 1500 metres. The higher you get the tamer they become and will come to be almost hand fed with your sandwiches!

Snowfinch at that time of year will be higher up but there is a possibility. Wallcreeper is not uncommon but there are so many rock faces to check out...

Grey-headed Woodpecker is not very common but the best spot I know is the south side of Lake Neuchatel in the lake side forests. Black Woodpecker is widely distributed but that does not make it always very easy to see. Make sure you know the characteristic calls then there is a chance.

Mike

If anyone is interested, I did see Snow Finch and Alpine Chough, but predictably not Wallcreeper. We stayed in Grindelwald for two days, but I think anyone who is planning to visit for such a short period should bear in mind that low cloud can be a problem. The first day we only went as high as 1955 metres to a place called Schreckfeld, due to concerns about low cloud. I did see Alpine Chough, but only in one flock which disappeared fairly quickly. I did however see Golden Eagle, Water Pipit and the central European race of Ring Ouzel, but it there was no sign of Snow Finch.

The next day we went to Mannlichen which is 2230 Metres and had good views of both Alpine Chough and Snow Finches, but they were not noticeably tame. The only other birds we saw there were more Ring Ouzels and a Raven, but it was worth going for the view alone.

The important thing to note for visitors looking for these Alpine specialities is that you need favorable weather, and you need to get as high as you can. I have heard people say above 2000M for Snow finch, and that seems to be borne out by my experience.

If anyone is interested, I did see Snow Finch and Alpine Chough, but predictably not Wallcreeper. We stayed in Grindelwald for two days, but I think anyone who is planning to visit for such a short period should bear in mind that low cloud can be a problem. The first day we only went as high as 1955 metres to a place called Schreckfeld, due to concerns about low cloud. I did see Alpine Chough, but only in one flock which disappeared fairly quickly. I did however see Golden Eagle, Water Pipit and the central European race of Ring Ouzel, but it there was no sign of Snow Finch.

The next day we went to Mannlichen which is 2230 Metres and had good views of both Alpine Chough and Snow Finches, but they were not noticeably tame. The only other birds we saw there were more Ring Ouzels and a Raven, but it was worth going for the view alone.

The important thing to note for visitors looking for these Alpine specialities is that you need favorable weather, and you need to get as high as you can. I have heard people say above 2000M for Snow finch, and that seems to be borne out by my experience.

wow, you were lucky to see snowfinch. they tend to be high up, very flighty, and very thin on the ground at this time of the year. but then again, if you are in the right place at the right time, one can see them fairly well.

wallcreepers have such vast territories and home ranges that finding one is always a matter of a huge amount of luck. at this time of year, they are breeding so their home-ranges are much reduced. but then again it is only normally the male that is out and about (i.e. half the number of birds), but then again, he is in a much smaller area around the nest site. I think the chicks from my local pair will fledge in about 3 weeks so they should be more visible then...

It sounds like you had a great time in the swiss alps!

Sorry, I've only just seen this. In the Jungfrau region a good place to look for Snowfinch is Kleine Scheidegg, where they can often be found around the rack railway station.

Grindelwald Gletscherschlucht (glacier snout - a deep gorge running back into the mountain) is worth searching for Wallcreepers. I had a pair there late May, some years ago mind!

I had Black (and Three-toed) Woodpecker between Wengen and the Trummelbach falls, along with Alpine Ibex and distant views of Chamois.

John

Choughs were on the top of the Schilthorn (The revolving restaurant in the old James Bond Film from the '60s) and very tame feeding from the passers by!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back