• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time in Florida (1 Viewer)

Vipers

Brunswick Birder
Hi everyone. I will be in Orlando from 17th October for two weeks visiting the mouse. One of my targets is Ruby-Throated Hummingbird and looking on eBird Bok Tower gardens seems like a good spot for them. I was just wondering if any of you locals would recommend Bok Tower or are there any other good sites for Hummers closer to Orlando?

You could try Mead Gardens or Leu Gardens in the Winter Park area - these parks are definitely closer to Orlando/Kissimmee than Bok.
I've seen them on Mead's coral honeysuckle -
Also, check out postings on ebird

Don't forget to look around where you're staying...if you're at one of the Disney resort hotels, there are often many types of birds right on property - I've seen hummingbirds at Saratoga Springs resort and Port Orleans Riverside resort, as well as Fort Wilderness Campground. Outside resorts that have significant landscaping or flowers may also have ruby-throateds visiting randomly.

Thanks for the advice guys!

KHamlett: I had a looked at Mead Garden but I wasn't sure how regular they were there.

nartreb: I hadn't even thought about doing that, but what a great idea!

Zackiedawg: I do hope to get a chance to look for birds around Disney. I had heard that it can be really good for birds around Fort Wilderness.

We will have a car for the two weeks and I am planning on trips to Merritt Island, Three Lakes and maybe Circle B Bar Reserve if I have time.

Hi everyone. I will be in Orlando from 17th October for two weeks visiting the mouse. One of my targets is Ruby-Throated Hummingbird and looking on eBird Bok Tower gardens seems like a good spot for them. I was just wondering if any of you locals would recommend Bok Tower or are there any other good sites for Hummers closer to Orlando?

I don't know about Rubythroats in Orlando as I live several hundred miles north, but generally where I live, Carrollton, Ga. , the hummers leave about Oct 15. They may hang around later that far South. Hang up a feeder anyway, you may get lucky.

Well, I'm a bit further North but I have had Ruby-throats til early November here so I would think with those dates you might luck out ;)

Thanks Guys! I think the first thing on my agenda when I arrive will be a trip to the nearest Walmart to pick up a Hummingbird feeder.

You mentioned that you are going to Merritt Island. There are usually RTHU at the visitor center. While you are there, also look for the Painted Buntings that usually hang out at the same location.

You mentioned that you are going to Merritt Island. There are usually RTHU at the visitor center. While you are there, also look for the Painted Buntings that usually hang out at the same location.

Thanks Dan! I had planned on looking for Painted Bunting at the visitors centre, I'll keep an eye out for Ruby-Throats when we are there.

Thanks Chris! Looks like a good website but I don't think we will be going that far South.

We will be starting our annual migration to Florida around the end of Oct. We will visit Merritt Island and Canaveral National Seashore in either Nov. or Dec. We find that we see far more there during that period than if we wait until spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back