• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sperm Whales Dominica (1 Viewer)

tyson

I did a trip Recently to Dominica with a company called Picture Adventure(www.pictureadventure.com). Fantastic trip and great guide Patrick Dykstra a long with Andrew Armour.

We saw 2 Beaked Whales, Pantropical Spotted & Fraiser's Dolphins & we observed lots of Sperm Whales under water over the 6days. We saw several Sperm Whale breaches and observed 7 of them sleeping vertically underwater right underneath us.

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 98
We saw 2 Beaked Whales, Pantropical Spotted & Fraiser's Dolphins & we observed lots of Sperm Whales under water over the 6days. We saw several Sperm Whale breaches and observed 7 of them sleeping vertically underwater right underneath us.

Chris
Really interesting! I knew whales had to sleep, like any other kind of mammal, but didn't know they did it tail-down. How often do they come up for air? Do they do so while still asleep?

Tyson,
thanks for sharing. Do you know the id of the beaked whale?

Niels

I've been told it's most likely to be a Gervais. I have a video of it as well so I need to get that looked at by a couple of people but apparently it's impossible to get a definite ID of a beaked whale if you don't see the head.

Really interesting! I knew whales had to sleep, like any other kind of mammal, but didn't know they did it tail-down. How often do they come up for air? Do they do so while still asleep?

The whales would come up to the surface and rest there for 10-15minutes and then they would go under and move to a vertical position for 10-20minutes. They kept repeating this.

When you were looking down at them asleep vertically they did look like some kind of alien ghost

There was one whale which set off to move away from us. We decided to follow it and we swam a long side it for around 10minutes. It was hard work but the whale kept letting us catch up to it and we would be swimming eye to eye before it got Infront again.

When we ran out of energy and as soon as we stopped, the whale dived.

Not a cheap trip but worth every penny and swimming in the carribean sea was comfortable enough. It was warm, clear and calm most days. With it being salt water it helps keep you a-float.

I've been told it's most likely to be a Gervais. I have a video of it as well so I need to get that looked at by a couple of people but apparently it's impossible to get a definite ID of a beaked whale if you don't see the head.

Beaked whales are probably the most difficult Cetaceans to identify. Some of the baleen whales are tricky but not quite in the same way as beaked whales, the issue with these is they are all rather similar, some species groups can generally only be identified from seeing the head of a male for instance.

Size can be helpful but only in larger species, smaller animals could just be juveniles of larger species.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back