• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 with nikon D7200 (1 Viewer)

Railoe

Hello

I purchased a kowa 883 scope for wildlife watching, but with the need to photograph im looking into the digiscoping world also. I already own a 150-600mm lens but want to try how much more reach scope can give.

Im worried about the possible vignetting and durability of the angled eyepiece if I attach a camera on top of it.
I've read about different setups some use the TSN PA7, and some have a 50mm lens, there are also old discontinued kowa adapters for digiscoping im a little lost what way to go.
I tried a little with the iphone digiscoping but without a decent iphone 6 plus version there is too much vignetting with my setup(iphone 6 adapter glued to iphone 6 plus cover).

So my questions are

1.Which one is better
a.TSN-PA7 D-SLR+T2 mount or
b.50mm lens + TSN-DA10 or is there some other way ?
2.Does the new TSN-PA7 really have glass on the bottom end to remove the possible dust issue to camera ?
3.Will there be vignetting issues with 1 a/b because of the lack of zoom in dslr compared to compact cameras. I will be using both videos+photos.
4.Can the long term use of a dslr + adapters break the eypiece or scope especially with the angled version ?
:brains:

Please post what they told you. I think it will help others in the future who are considering the various digiscoping options for Kowa scopes.

Sure,

1.Which one is better
-TSN-PA7 D-SLR+T2 mount seems the best and cheapest option to enable the whole scope range and to easily switch between scoping/photographing.

2.Does the new TSN-PA7 really have glass on the bottom end to remove the possible dust issue to camera ?

-Yes the new model does have glass

3.Will there be vignetting issues with 1 a/b because of the lack of zoom in dslr compared to compact cameras. I will be using both videos+photos.

-There should not be a vignetting, and if so it might occur just in lower magnification range, but this can be eliminated at slightly increasing the magnification.

4.Can the long term use of a dslr + adapters break the eypiece or scope especially with the angled version ?

-Such kind of risk is not exisiting. The PA7 is mounted on the thread of the scope body. This connection is very sturdy and can carry a D-SLR body without any problem.. The PA7 is mounted on the thread of the scope body. This connection is very sturdy and can carry a D-SLR body without any problem.

I can give my thoughts when I get my PA7 and have used this combo.
Otherwise once more :t: for kowa customer service.

Sure,

1.Which one is better
-TSN-PA7 D-SLR+T2 mount seems the best and cheapest option to enable the whole scope range and to easily switch between scoping/photographing.

-Yes the new model does have glass

-There should not be a vignetting, and if so it might occur just in lower magnification range, but this can be eliminated at slightly increasing the magnification.

-Such kind of risk is not exisiting. The PA7 is mounted on the thread of the scope body. This connection is very sturdy and can carry a D-SLR body without any problem.. The PA7 is mounted on the thread of the scope body. This connection is very sturdy and can carry a D-SLR body without any problem.

I can give my thoughts when I get my PA7 and have used this combo.
Otherwise once more :t: for kowa customer service.

Thanks for posting that information.

I received my TSN-PA7 a few days ago and am very happy with it. It is very easy (and quick) to switch back and forth between looking through the eyepiece and taking photos. My PA7 has the protective glass for the camera sensor.

I have tried it with both my Canon 5D III and 7D II and there is no vignetting at all, even at the widest setting on the zoom eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back