• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 15x56 (1 Viewer)

kkokkolis

Περίεργο&#
There is an opportunity for a Swarovski SLC 15x56 for 650 euros. The price seems incredible and I have the money, ready to buy a Maven B3 (with case and shipping and maybe tolls it will cost about as much). In fact I cover this magnification range with the Canon 18x50 IS, with which I am incredibly happy. But when I saw a Swaro for that price I fell off my chair. Not happy if I'll have to use it always on atripod though.
What's your opinion?

I thought Swarovski was the magic word here, the one that starts conversations. Unless you search stelthly for the classified to steal it from me.:eek!:

Χαίρετε Kostas

I wrote a review of SLC 15x56 (and Conquest HD) and it is a lovely instrument, but at the price you mention of only €650 my first question is 'what is wrong with it?'. This is a really cheap price. If the instrument is in good condition then it sounds a bargain but really this sounds too good to be true.

I could hold the SLC and Conquest steady for a couple of minutes but no longer and not at all if there is a wind blowing.

I have a Conquest 15x56 and use it on a tripod usually, although it can also be useful when cruising to different birding sites where you can see stuff from your car. Also it is useful at nature reserves where there are hides (blinds to our American friends) and you can rest your elbows to steady it.

€650? You know what they say: 'if it sounds too good to be true, thats because it is'.

Good luck Lee

If it is the earlier model, the price sounds possible but still quite cheap. If it were the new model, it would be very suspicious to say the least.

Assuming that it is the earlier model, it would likely be better than your Canon if you put it on a tripod, but inferior if you use it hand-held. The earlier model did not use HD glass, so there is more CA, but otherwise it is a good binocular. It is big, however, and would not be easier to hold than the Canon.

Kimmo

I didn't call the guy yet. The photo's look OK but that doesn't say much.
We live peculiar times in Greece. I bought my Canon 18x50 IS for 450 euros, from a guy that bought it for 500 euros together with a 10x30 IS (so he gained money), while new price here is 1200 euros. There was nothing wrong with it.
You can buy a Porsche Cayenne for a few Ks, provided you can pay for gas and taxes afterwards. People are getting cash starved often.
But it might be as your experience says, so it should be a try before you buy case.

The photos should tell you which model it is, assuming they are honest and about the actual binocular being offered. The old and new versions look quite different. A simple google search for photos will show plenty of the older ones and a few of the new models.

Kimmo

I didn't call the guy yet. The photo's look OK but that doesn't say much.
We live peculiar times in Greece. I bought my Canon 18x50 IS for 450 euros, from a guy that bought it for 500 euros together with a 10x30 IS (so he gained money), while new price here is 1200 euros. There was nothing wrong with it.
You can buy a Porsche Cayenne for a few Ks, provided you can pay for gas and taxes afterwards. People are getting cash starved often.
But it might be as your experience says, so it should be a try before you buy case.

K,
One mens death is other mens bread, I can understand that but what do you mean with "provided you can pay for gas and taxes afterwards"?

Jan

The car might cost you peanuts but keeping it (luxury car taxes), gas (it's cheaper now but that never keeps for long) and services make it non affordable for many. Many businessmen who had nice houses and cars shut down their stores or businesses and they have to pay taxes for their real estate and transport means, while jobless and in debt. They try to sell what they have but not many have the money to buy them. It happened to many other countries simultaneously, starting from US, but in Greece the phenomenon was devastating for the economy. Those who keep their jobs (including me) have to pay for those who don't work, those who get pensions and the foreign debt of the country but the work/no work ratio is disadvantaged.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back