• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

old swaro sv 10x50 vs new swaro sv 10x50 fieldpro (1 Viewer)

bockos

i saw that there are difference in coatings between the old Swaro SV 10x50 and the new model fieldpro, are there differences in perfomance because of the different coatings?Are there other differences between the old and new model, especially in resolution and contrast?Thanks!

i saw that there are difference in coatings between the old Swaro SV 10x50 and the new model fieldpro, are there differences in perfomance because of the different coatings?Are there other differences between the old and new model, especially in resolution and contrast?Thanks!

Bockos,

It's my understanding that the latest edition of the EL line has "the same" optical performance as before...nothing changed with lenses or coatings.

Now, SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) techs state coating refinement is ongoing in all of their bino production, with little tweaks here and there to compensate for any minute differences in prisms and glass product variances. They also state this tweaking is only lab measurable, and doesn't affect any visual changes. I imagine fine tuning coatings allows them to maintain their critical final optical design performance standards.

If there has been any "coating improvements" in the new EL's, it appears their literature isn't touting it...not yet anyway!

Ted

Last edited:
Ted is right that the 'Improvement' of coating over the years couldn't be detected by bare eyes. Of course, newer is better is always true.

The biggest difference I could 'feel' is the RB effect is better controlled at the latest SV8.5x42.

compared a new "fieldpro" unit with and older SW unit,
the OLDER unit was clearly sharper to me,
must have been a lemon,

ATX scopes seem to have slightly warmer color tint (more neutral), than older ATS scopes,
binoculars still seem to have a bit colder tint, but it would be interesting to know if
swaro have two different coatings in production right now,

I get by with any of them, does not affect the view in any negative way, IMO

An optics dealer told me that there have been some changes in the front lenses and the way they are implemented in the housing.
In the old swarovision , so after 2010 , the 2 front lenses were installed with air in between , afterwards , they were put in such a way that no air was between them , so an improvement , theoretically, less refraction errors.
I don't know if this is true, personally , i cannot see a difference between them , optics wise.
The local sales rep of swarovski , confirmed me also that there is no optical difference at all.

An optics dealer told me that there have been some changes in the front lenses and the way they are implemented in the housing.
In the old swarovision , so after 2010 , the 2 front lenses were installed with air in between , afterwards , they were put in such a way that no air was between them , so an improvement , theoretically, less refraction errors.
I don't know if this is true, personally , i cannot see a difference between them , optics wise.

FWIW, air-spaced objective lenses can be better corrected than cemented doublets because the designer has more degrees of freedom. They are, however, more difficult to make than cemented doublets.

Hermann

Thanks for the answers. I wonder why the coatings of the lens on the old swaro are red, and on the fieldpro are green, is different colour make visual improvement?

Thanks for the answers. I wonder why the coatings of the lens on the old swaro are red, and on the fieldpro are green, is different colour make visual improvement?

They have never been red,
but if you could take a comparison photo
with the new and the old (front lenses) side by side it would be interesting to see,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back