• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chalcopsitta duyvenbodei or duivenbodei (1 Viewer)

I´m still stuck on "Jonkheer"

Maarten Dirksz van Renesse van Duivenbode, ... served for the Dutch Trade Company (Nederlandsche Handelsmaatschappij), was merchant, captain, commander and honorary major. He was knighted in the order of the Dutch Lion and the Leopold's order. ...

Considering the titles mentioned above, is it possible that the title "Jonkheer" in the type description of (Eupandris/Nectarinia) Atethopyga duyvenbodei SCHLEGEL 1871 is refering to Maarten Dirksz (Dirk) van Renesse van Duivenbode? Fancy titles seldom comes alone ...

Last edited:
The "King of Ternate"?

Different views on who he was ...

Maarten Dirksz van Renesse van Duivenbode, the man was met by A.R. Wallace in Ternate (and nicknamed The King of Ternate) and was born at 2 June 1804 at Ternate, by then Dutch Territory. He died in the same town at 31 March 1878. ...

I think we have all been led astray by Prestwich 1963! All the Dutch and other genealogical records I could find, showed Maarten Dirk van Duivenbode (Duyvenbode is an archaic 16th century spelling) was born on Ternate 2 Nov 1804, and died on Amboyna 124 June 1838. ... Lodewijk Diederik [Willem Alexander] (sometimes referred to as L. D. H[endrik]. A.), born on Ternate 5 Mar 1828, died at Manado 14 Jan 1879 (and who is Wallace’s “King of Ternate”). ....

Whitout even trying to sort out the dates, or even years, of those men I just have one short question: Who was Wallace's "The King ..."?

Also see link: http://books.google.se/books?id=47w...lace van Duivenbode "King of Ternate"&f=false

Thanks to everyone involved!

It´s time for me to "wrap up" my search for the Duivenbode Birds …

Also discussed on thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=264810

As I understand it we can conclude that Chalcopsitta duivenbodei DUBOIS 1884 (as well as the hybrid "Duivenbode's riflebird" – this thread #12) commemorates the Dutch merchant (in various goods, feathers and Naturalia), collector and dealer in natural history specimens:
Constantijn Willem Rudolf van Renesse van Duivenbode (1858–), sometimes titled "Directeur handelsmaatschappij" or "Director of the (that is of the local/Ternate branch, not the vast) Dutch East India Co", born and for many years active on the (today Indonesian, in his time Dutch) Island Ternate, in the Moluccas.

We can also note that his name, especially in English context, often is interpreted to Constantijn "William" (= Willem) and "Rudolph" (= Rudolf) and that his family name (in many languages) sometimes is shortened to either only "van Duivenbode" or "van Duyvenbode" ... leading to various spellings of this species Common Name - like; French: Lori de Duyvenbode, Italian: Lori di Duivenbode, English (earlier, and for Pets): " Duyvenbode's Lory" (today Brown Lory), suggested Swedish name: "Duivenbodes lorikit" and most surprisingly – Dutch: Duyvenbodes Lori!? They all refer to the same Bird and the same man.

However; it looks like this "C. W. R." had left Ternate in the mid 1890's. In any case there are several letters written by him after that, from various locations in Europe. When he died seem to be unknown, the last trace of him is a letter to the well-known ornithologist Ernst Hartert, posted in Paris on the 28th of December 1910.

After that "C. W. R." simply seem to vanish.

Regarding the other Duivenbode's I rest my case ... The Parrot is the only one where a Duivenbode is commemorated in its Swedish bird name, and they (the Swedish Names) are the one I´ve been trying to understand.

The final conclusions after whom the rest are named … I leave to you all.

Last edited:
M. D. van Renesse van Duivenbode

It´s a bit hard to let go of this discussion ... especially since I happened to find this Death announcement in:
Heij, C. J. Biographical Notes of Antonie Augustus Bruijn (1842-1890). PT Penerbit IPB Press. Bogor, Indonesia. ISBN: 978-979-493-294-0

That book feels thoroughly and well researched, both considering Bruijn and the various Duivenbode's. Recommended!

PS. About my reasoning (below) " ...and that his family name (in many languages) sometimes is shortened to either only "van Duivenbode" or "van Duyvenbode" ... ". It seems like their name really was just van Duivenbode until 1856 when Maarten Dirk (Dirksz) van Duivenbode applied to the Governor of the East Indies to add the Family Name van Renesse to his van Duivenbode. As were granted 20th April 1959. After that their name was, officially: van Renesse van Duivenbode.

Attachments

• M. D. van Renesse an Duivenbode kopia.jpg
    M. D. van Renesse an Duivenbode kopia.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Dear Bjorn, this was already mentioned in post 7. Date was 1857 not 1959.

Are you sure?

But I have to give you right in that I read it wrong! And that I slipped on the centuries!

As I read it, once again, I think Maarten Dirksz applied on 17th November 1856, the bureaucracy begun 7th May 1857, the announcement was published (for possible protest) on 14th July 1857, noted (as no-one in opposition) on 30th August 1857 and finally approved (by the Governor-General) on the 2nd July 1860.

Or?

Last edited:
Are you sure?

But I have to give you right in that I read it wrong!

As I read it, once again, I think Maarten Dirksz applied on 17th November 1856, the bureaucracy begun 7th May 1857, the announcement was published (for possible protest) on 14th July 1857, noted (as no-one in opposition) on 30th August 1857 and finally approved (by the Governor-General) on the 2nd July 1860.

Or?

Well, at least none of those dates were from 19xx 8-P

Niels

Nothing new (as far as I can tell), but maybe worth a look (if, in as of nothing else, for some nice pictures) ... for anyone still curious on Mr. Bruijn.

Kees Heij. 2011. Antonie Augustus Bruijn (1842-1890): het leven van de mysterieuze dierenhandelaar ontrafeld. Straatgras 23 (3): pp. 50-52 ...all in Dutch. (here)

This is just finishing off a thread from 2013

C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode probably died in Batavia on 15 Aug 1929

The death is listed in the Bataviaasch Nieuwsblad for 17-8-1929

Yes, I know that the initials for the forenames are wrong but the family apparently believes that this is him based on their website and the location, date and age make sense and the newspaper account states "71 jaar oud". One assumes the news cam 3rd hand from Ternate - J may stand for Jonkheer here...

Constantijn Willem Rudolf van Renesse van Duivenbode

Birth 23 Feb 1858 Ternate, Noord-Molukken

Death 15 Aug 1929 Batavia 27-01-1925 Zeist, The Netherlands

Edit: As happens so often as soon as I post I find the correct answer:

here https://www.wiewaswie.nl/en/detail/45762504

P

Attachments

• Duivenbode.JPG
    Duivenbode.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Paul, even if the name of "L.D.W.A. van Renesse van Duivenbode" was written as "Lodewijk Diederik Willem Alexander van Renesse van Duijvenbode", in the references for your post #50; I assume (even if only a Half-brother, to 'our' guy "CWR"), that their mutual Surname, at least today, ought to be written the same way (as Duivenbode, that is).

See post #6-7 and 44-46.

/B

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back