• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anaso Track, Lore Lindu NP, Sulawesi, Indonesia (1 Viewer)

julienl

Hey everyone,

These birds where seen in May on the Anaso Track in Lore Lindu NP, Sulawesi. So somewhere between 1700 and 2200m alt.

1) Female Snowy Browed Flycatcher ?

2-3) Female Snowy Browed Flycatcher ?

4) Sulawesi or Grey Streaked Flycatcher ?

5) Female Mountain Tailorbird ?

And I have a very stupid question: in my field guide "Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago" (Lynx 2016), it is said that the Grey Streaked Flycatcher is a winter visitor to Indonesia, but which winter are they referring too ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_38982.jpg
    IMG_38982.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_39482.jpg
    IMG_39482.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_39522.jpg
    IMG_39522.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_39362.jpg
    IMG_39362.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_39552.jpg
    IMG_39552.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 54
No. 1 is female Snowy-browed - slight brow, buff throat, chestnut wing panel, very short tail.

Nos 2-3 is clearly a different species - could it be Matinan Flycatcher?

https://www.arkive.org/matinan-flycatcher/cyornis-sanfordi/image-G52865.htm

I think no. 4 looks more like Sulawesi Streaked.

I'm pretty sure no. 5 is not a Mountain Tailorbird but I don't know what it is.

I don't see any other option for 2-3 even though I am not fully convinced with the pictures I found online.

No. 5 really looks like a Mountain Tailorbird to me (cf. image below) even though the colours don't match. I didn't find any similar picture online.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 31
There aren't many images of juvenile Mountain Tailorbird online, but I found three.

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=25157 (5th image)
http://birdingpage.blogspot.com/2015/07/kinabalu-national-park-1.html
https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/mountain-tailorbird-orthotomus-cucullatus/juvenile-bird-hand

So it should have a brow and a distinct black eyestripe, a long thin bill and yellow underparts. Your bird is plain grey underneath without a hint of yellow, a short bill and not much of a face pattern.

And what is the bird in the left-hand image? Where is the image from?

These birds look like Mountain Tailorbird to me, the bird in the first post presumably a juvenile. I haven't been to Sulawesi and seen the taxon there but from these photos they seem very distinctive and very different from the mainland SE Asia taxa. Clearly duller and lacking yellow below, which also explains why the juvenile lacks yellow.

I'm pretty sure the bird #4 in the first post isn't Grey-streaked (I don't know what it is though). To answer your question, the term 'winter visitor' here refers to the northern winter. By May they should start heading north.

That's very interesting. It looks like a different species to me, not only in terms of plumage but also structure. What's even odder is that there are 4 subspecies of MT on Sulawesi, the one in the north being riedeli, apparently.

That's very interesting. It looks like a different species to me, not only in terms of plumage but also structure. What's even odder is that there are 4 subspecies of MT on Sulawesi, the one in the north being riedeli, apparently.

From my fieldguide:

"Vocal and plumage differences sometines prompt treatment of Sul races (riedeli,stentor,meisei,hedymeles) as 'Sulawesi Leaftoiler' P. riedeli, and Mol/Sula/Banggai races (dumasi, batjanensis and the two undescribed forms) as 'Moluccan Leaftoiler' P.dumasi."

To answer your question, the term 'winter visitor' here refers to the northern winter. By May they should start heading north.

Thanks for the clarification :)

For bird 2-3, someone suggested female Maroon-backed Whistler. It sounds good but I cannot find pictures online. What do you guys think ?

From someone on facebook:

"Admittedly it’s not a species I’ve seen, but bill structure looks about right for a small whistler... certainly not a Eumyias / Cyornis looking bill. HBW mentions females have yellowish wash to belly and rusty imarginations to the restrices which terminate before the tip (both evident here)."

And I think that Maroon Backed Whistler is way more common than Matinan Flycatcher in Lore Lindu.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back