• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland (1 Viewer)

jgrnot

Hello All,

My other travels will be in the Geneva area, does anyone know any specific birding and wildlife spots near Geneva?

Thank you,
Jgrnot

There are some:
Baie d'Excenevex
At the southern shore of Lake Geneva, the bay of Excenevex is nice for waterfowl and sometimes waders.
Fort l'Ecluse
West of Geneva there is a narrow valley where all migrating birds coming from the north have to pass. Very good point to watch raptors (Honey Buzzards, Osprey, Kites), best times september and october. Next villages are Vulbens and Chevrier. From Geneva take the N206 over St.Julien-en-Genevois in direction of Bellegarde. Four km after Vulbens the road goes under the railwaytracks. 100m after that you turn left. A good watchpoint is along this road and the railwaytracks, about 1,5km after you turned left.
La rade de Genève
This is just the end of the Lake Geneva, in the middle of the town. You will find waterfowl, including Merganser and sometimes rarer ducks. Also gulls and waders pass through here. Paquis dam is some kind of meeting point for birdwatchers.
Préverenges
This area is near Lausanne and very good for waders and terns and gulls. Take the highway in direction to Lausanne and leave at Morges. From there follow the road to Préverenges where you park somewhere (I'm always there by public transport, so I can't give you more details). At the delta of the River Venoge you will see a artifical island which is very good for waders, gulls and terns.

Hope this helps

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back