• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jerky Focus Wheels (similar threads combined) (1 Viewer)

The hole in the Swaros serves two purposes: (1) an access port so they can pump nitrogen in and (2) it serves as a drain to let water out. Since nitrogen is slightly lighter than air all the user has to do is keep the hole pointed downward. With the hole pointed downward, nitrogen stays in and excess water drains out. It's really a very elegant design.
John

3:) 3:) 3:) 3:)

Better joke than Bop Hope and Jack Lemmon combined or
most horrid nonsense in years.
Guess what?

Sigmund F.

As far as I can tell the problem seems to start and end with the "hole" existing - no-one appears to have actually had a problem resulting from it..I'd draw your own conclusion.

Without a hole in your bottom, you explode.

3:) 3:) 3:) Thanks Leif, you made me guffaw with that. Nothing like a bit of puerile humour (my favourite type) after a hard day´s work. And I nearly didn´t see your post...I had Promised Myself That I Wouldn´t Look At This Thread Anymore, but couldn´t resist. Now I´m off to drill a hole in my Leica´s, just to be on the safe side.....

Wasn't there a case of a zoo keeper who once had his swarovski's eaten by an elephant on three seperate occasions, and each time passed through the creatures digestive system and passed out the other end perfectly undamaged?

Or was that something.....??

Matt

Last edited:
Wasn't there a case of a zoo keeper who once had his swarovski's eaten by an elephant on three seperate occasions, and each time past through the creatures digestive system and past out the other end perfectly undamaged?

Matt

Are you serious? If true, I think Swarovski´s marketing folk should base a whole campaign on it. "Swarovski EL´s - they´re not just Elephant-s..te, You Know..." And speaking of Swarovski folk, if they can see this thread, they must be stroking their beards and thinking, with Teutonic Analytical Logic, that we´re infected with hopelessly Anglo Saxon/Celtic surreal barminess. The Good Doctor Sigmund, apparently, singled out the Irish as one race for whom Psychoanalysis would be of no use whatsoever. He also apparently reckoned Birdwatchers, in particular, were merely indulging a suppressed desire to witness their parents doing jiggery-pokery. EL focussing bridge hole, indeed.;)

Last edited:
Wasn't there a case of a zoo keeper who once had his swarovski's eaten by an elephant on three seperate occasions, and each time past through the creatures digestive system and past out the other end perfectly undamaged?

Matt

I believe that was a Tilley hat, Matt. Let's get serious. He wore it on his head. Besides, it's too much of a stretch to have been his Swarovski binoculars. :'D

Ed

Last edited:
The Swarovski ELs where on my short list to replace a pair of Ziess I lost a while back. The list has just got a company (at least) shorter thanks in the main to your thread.

Ian, as others have said don't be put off looking at Swarovski (or Leica) just by one persons opinion of them (in the same way that you wonldn't buy a pair fon a single online recomendation). The points that have been raised as faults on these bins are actually there by design. If you are looking at top end bins then go to a shop, try them all out and see which ones suit you.

Matt

Slightly off topic, but the world's most expensive coffee, called Kopi Luwak, is made from beans which are recovered from Civit dung. No doubt it is good to the last dropping. (Sorry.)

Matt

If you look carefully you can see the impression left by them in the turd in your avatar.

Ron

3:) 3:) 3:) Thanks Leif, you made me guffaw with that. Nothing like a bit of puerile humour (my favourite type) after a hard day´s work. And I nearly didn´t see your post...I had Promised Myself That I Wouldn´t Look At This Thread Anymore, but couldn´t resist. Now I´m off to drill a hole in my Leica´s, just to be on the safe side.....

Let's all start drilling holes in our binoculars...I'll put my newly bought cordless drill to good use on my E2. Should I do it on the bridge too?

Matt

I don't know about that, but last year I posted on the Swaro forum an anecdote a guy related to me about Swaro's service. It seems his hunting dog chewed up his 8 x 40's. (He bought them awhile back while hunting in Alaska.) The dog destroyed the rubber covering and the eyecups. Swaro repaired them as new and returned them to him with a leather chew bone for his dog! All they charged him was postage and insurance. Now that's service!:clap:
Bob

Slightly off topic, but the world's most expensive coffee, called Kopi Luwak, is made from beans which are recovered from Civit dung. No doubt it is good to the last dropping. (Sorry.)

Presumably what´s left, after removing the coffee beans, goes on to become Maxwell House Instant Coffee. ;)

Let's all start drilling holes in our binoculars...I'll put my newly bought cordless drill to good use on my E2. Should I do it on the bridge too?

There is a serious problem here. What if you go on a forum of cordless drill owners, who recommend a hole in your cordless drill, based on the preoccupations of one who initially wonders if it´s a design fault. With What Will You Drill The Hole in Your Drill? :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back