• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grippa case for ED50 - am I being dim again! (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Has anyone used the Nikon Grippa case for the ED50 yet?

The main body strap fixes underneath in the tripod hole. How do you then mount it onto a tripod?? Am I being dim here? I realise that the whole idea of this case is to use the scope handheld but it would be a bit of a bind to have to keep taking it on and off when you then want to use a tripod. Great idea though and gives a bit of protection too.
Thoughts please..........

Has anyone used the Nikon Grippa case for the ED50 yet?

The main body strap fixes underneath in the tripod hole. How do you then mount it onto a tripod?? Am I being dim here? I realise that the whole idea of this case is to use the scope handheld but it would be a bit of a bind to have to keep taking it on and off when you then want to use a tripod. Great idea though and gives a bit of protection too.
Thoughts please..........

It does seem to be a bit of a design flaw, but using the mount means the case stays on securely [unlike some stay-on cases.. ]. The Grippa case lets you use the ED50 as bins - strap 'round the neck, and up to 40x ready to use without needing to set up any kind of tripod - and I'm a big fan, I have to say. I also use a Cullman shoulder pod, and then have to go caseless - not such a problem with the ED50 as it's utterly waterproof, and I use a filter which protects the objective, [though I'd have a stay-on when Cley Spy make one for the straight body!].
For me, the ED50 is for those situations where a tripod is impractical, but I want more than just bins. It's a travelscope, a walkingscope, a woodlandscope... and great for Nightjars :t:

Tom

Despite this design flaw I suspect, like you, I'm going to use the scope more hand holding, using the Grippa case, than with a tripod. Obviously relying on holding the scope with just a strap over your hand it has got to be very securely attached to the body - hence the screw fixing - but I can't help thinking a couple of large, strong poppa fastenings arranged in a different way underneath would have been just as good and also enabled easy exposure of the tripod fixing.

That's not what the InVision guy told me.. :h?:

Ah well, :: Adds it to list ::

I'm using the CleySpy SOC with my ED50 staight-body. It works fine. It seems to me that the cover at the eyepiece end is so large, that it is designed to work with both straight and angled designs. Ideally, the cover at the objective end could be a little bigger, but its okay.

I use the Cullman shoulder pod too. Very small and light.

Given the large magnifications of a scope compared to a binocular. Is it realistic to use a scope handheld, however small a body it has? Even with the should pod, sometimes I find it difficult to keep the image steady.

Given the large magnifications of a scope compared to a binocular. Is it realistic to use a scope handheld, however small a body it has? Even with the should pod, sometimes I find it difficult to keep the image steady.

For me, the ED50 gives me more 'power' than binoculars in places where a large scope and especially a tripod is impractical. Shake is the downside; a shoulderpod helps, but is less 'handy' than the Grippa. Its all about weighing up the pros and cons - is the better image worth the shake? Personally, I think so.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back