• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Bird song & Pollution (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
I dont really know which forum to put this in but im writing an essay on the effects of pollution on bird song and there after reproductive success. Im having trouble finding much in the way of references - i have found an article on Black-capped Chickadees having increased slurring in their song and also a piece on Great Tits having smaller repertoires but can anbody suggest anything else? Any type of pollution is fine (except noise which is clogging up my searches!). Found a few bits on pollutant transmisison to young and effects of stress on bird song. Cheers for any help

James

There is evdience to suggest birds sing for longer and at different time due to light pollution in cities. Most 24 hour car parks have 24 hour birdsong.

There is also evidence that urban birds sing louder than rural birds due to higher levels of sound pollution.

I have read both of these in journals - maybe new scientist - but I am sure a paper search will find the original source. I think used both in my Zoology research so they could be old or updated by now...

There is evdience to suggest birds sing for longer and at different time due to light pollution in cities. Most 24 hour car parks have 24 hour birdsong.

There is also evidence that urban birds sing louder than rural birds due to higher levels of sound pollution.

I have read both of these in journals - maybe new scientist - but I am sure a paper search will find the original source. I think used both in my Zoology research so they could be old or updated by now...

There are quite a few papers on both subjects and these are both avenues im going to explore albeit not too deeply but it was ingested pollutant effects
that i was looking at - i cant find too much as most research seems focused on either noise or light pollution or on the effect of ingested pollutants on reproductive success.

Just a thought, are there any historical records from the London Smogs? or the smokey Northern industrial cities in C19th and early 20th

With (pseudo)hormones already changing the sex of alligators, this may be of interest (can't find the article):
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/4394
And here's an article in PLoS about starlings getting more complex songs by feeding in polluted areas:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0001674

Cheers! i'd been searching for that starling article - i was aware of its existance but couldnt find out so thats helped immensely.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back