• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinches at Mickleham (1 Viewer)

100+ Hawfinches reported today at Juniper Bottom behind Box Hill.

Must have been a wonderful sight - any comments, anyone?

Myself and two other birders returned to the site this morning after dipping a dozen reported birds yesterday afternoon, which were seen at 10.30am. It was quite a spectacle when in the end we gaged that the number of birds present was over 100, but most probably less than 130. See my blog here for more info. No sign of any birds this afternoon - as happened yesterday with the dozen seen - so anyone visiting may be best to do so in the morning.

Last edited:
visit this weekend

Hi i am down in Surrey this weekend from the North West does anyone have any directions please.
Also any other sites worth a look in the area as not birded here before..any help appriciated mike

Don't know whether you are coming from north or south, but come off the A24 just north of Dorking towards Mickleham village. Take the turning by Juniper Hall Field Studies Centre (on the right if coming from the south), and park in small car park on right after quarter of a mile. Walk along path from car park into the valley. Area of extensive Yews on the left seem to be favoured.

Grid Reference of car park: TQ177529

Holmethorpe gravel pits aren't far away (Reigate), but I've never been there so can't give any more info.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back