• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central Florida Warbler Help (1 Viewer)

That's is another reason I wasn't certain of the ID. I didn't think I'd get a parula here...it was never really on my radar.

There are quite a few of them in South Florida the past 3 weeks or so - migration patterns don't seem to apply like they used to - while the majority of the US has had unbelievable cold winters the past 3 years, Florida has had the exact opposite - the past 3 winters have been some of the warmest on record, and it seems to be messing with the birds! We haven't seen nearly as many fall migrators passing through, as they seem to stop farther up north in the state now...then as winter goes on, in late January we start to see early birds that we normally didn't see until April...and we see some oddballs in late March and April that many S. Florida birders haven't ever seen or are quite rare. Some birds that commonly left in March now stick around as late as May.

N. parulas are down my way in the dozens for the past two weekends. Central Florida gets a few different birds than us, but I'm not too surprised to hear parulas are up there too.

Thanks Justin...good to know. It was such a small little guy, and until I saw the yellow I thought it was just another gnatcatcher.

Northern Parulas winter in Florida in decent numbers, though they are not nearly as common as Yellow-rumped or Palm Warblers. They are also early migrants, so they are expected this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back