• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are killdeer typical in S Fla in June/July? (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

I have seen killdeer many times in the past, always in late winter/early spring. I can't recall in the past ever seeing them after April at the very latest. For some reason, I've been consistently spotting them flying overhead, and rooting through the shallows, at Green Cay Wetlands in Delray. I wasn't 100% on what I was seeing on the flyovers, but took photos to ID, and upon blowing up confirmed they were killdeer.

I don't know enough about these birds to know if they are typically around S. Florida this time of year. Thank you anyone for the help and info.

Seen small flocks of Killdeer even on theme park Carparks. They seem to like cleared building lots spirralling and dropping into small sandy areas

Seen often along some golf courses by Tampa, when I overwintered there twice. Allaboutbirds states they're permanent residents. Their habitat requires little cover, for instance grass no more than an inch (23mm) tall

That's one bird that might be said to have benefited by urbanization. Ebird records shows a graphic that portrays sightings along coast & roadways, for example. Obviously, that's where many of the people sighting are, but also, those easements and open areas are prime habitat for them.
Ebird records for >Killdeer, centered Homestead, Florida<

>This< doc is a breeding bird survey protocol for Florida’s seabirds and shorebirds.
Notes many different birds, including plovers. Charts timelines, habits, & habitats. May be of interest.

Last edited:
I don´t know if their appearance is normal, Justin. But I saw them also in Loxahatchee, on the pond of the Windwood Estates (behind NW 5th Ave) or near the FAU Boulevard in Boca to mention just a few places.

Thanks all. I don't know enough about certain birds' summer/winter residences, especially if it's a bird that I've only ever spotted during one particular season. For whatever reason, I just never came across killdeer unless it was winter or spring...until the past few months.

I know it happens - there have been other birds I used to only see one season and have since started to see in others - my birding knowledge and learning hasn't come from studying guides and online research, but from being into photography and finding birds a fascinating subject - over the past 7 years I've gone from being able to identify maybe 8 bird species to identifying hundreds, even by their call...but I'm still far off from seasoned birders!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back