• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 7x42 or Swarovision 8x50? (1 Viewer)

A 7x50 Swarovision would be a massive hit amongst astronomers and sailors as most 7x50 have limited FOV (around 125-130m at best).
If Swarovski can improve the 7x50 design with the Swarovision treatment the same way they did with their 10 and 12x50 that could be something to write home about!

All this, just because of an auto response from Swaro?

If the tweet would be: Swaro should start in the condom industry...
The answer will be: Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated. We forward it to our product managers 3:)

Jan

I'll take Titanium please. Why can I have it on a 200$ Leatherman and not on a 2000$+ Swarovski?

yep, not being sloppy with units tend to be rather important, by convention,
;)

CFRP vs magnesium chart:

Vespo, not sure where you sourced that , or with reference to what context, but the range of CFRP material properties is vast, rather like the growing list of different flavas of chips! :eek!:

You should check out the Young's Modulus, UTS, Specific Gravity, Thermal Expansion Coefficient, Porosity, etc, and then they must be applied in a Finite Element Stress Analysis for any given design to get the true picture - Hoop Stress will have just a big a bearing as Bending Moments, and Buckling Failure modes, Ductility /Brittleness /Hardness will all play their parts too .......... but I ain't givin' ya (nor Zeiss, nor Swarovski either! :) the fully skinny on any of that for free ........... :smoke:

Suffice it to say that the right recipe of CFRP is the superior material, and once bino manufacturers decide to move on from the horse and buggy days we might at last get some value for money lightweight stronger bins :cat:

Chosun :gh:

I would love to see a 42mm or 50mm Swarovision with lower magnification. Any of these would interest me:

7X42
7.5X42
7X50
7.5X50
8X50

It seems to me it should not be that hard for Swarovski to do this using mostly the same Swarovision body/frame/mechanical assembly that they already use for the current 42mm & 50mm line. I've asked them about it when they come to Optics shows, and I always get the same answer: It's not happening... Swarovski (and the market they would say) has a prejudice against low magnification. What a shame. Even if they offered these only as special orders with a long wait time, they should just do it (not all of the above obviously). A new line of porros would be welcome as well. Bring back a classic 7X35 porro with Swarovision optics! Or 7.5X38 as Vespobuteo suggested. Why is that such a crazy fantasy?

Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back