• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-tailed hawk question (1 Viewer)

Mila

I have been watching a red-tailed hawk for 2 years. Now he's gone. What is the probable reason:

1. He changed his territory.
2. Something bad happened to him.
3. Other.

BTW his nest was removed by people.

Hard to say. Death is a real possibility, certainly. How likely destruction of the nest would induce it to move on, I'm not sure.

If he had a mate and fledged offspring there, leaving voluntarily would be unlikely.
Otherwise, it may be simply that the bird decided the territory was not sufficiently attractive.
These hawks have a rough life and mortality is high. Here in NYC the well known Pale Male has been active for 25 or so years, but has had 8 female consorts in that interval. So the most likely explanation is that the bird is deceased.

I might add that removing the nest of a migratory species is a federal offense. The building Pale Male has his nest on found out when they removed his nest during winter. They were forced to reinstall a nest frame, at some considerable expense.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses! I know Pale Male's story.

I doubt my hawk is a migratory bird.
He and his mate had 3 chicks this year, but the nesting was stressful.

I wrote their story here

https://sites.google.com/site/tsunamispeakershawks/

I will try to call the agency that manages these speakers, where the nest was.
Maybe they know what happened to the hawk.

Wonderful story, thank you for putting it on the web! Just hope it has a happy end.
Sadly I think you will have a hard time getting anything from the Office of Emergency Preparedness, which is the agency that is responsible for the speakers afaik.
These agencies are not in the forefront of conservation and rationalize everything they do as being required by 'national security'. The hawk nest was probably considered unsightly and therefore removed, on the pretext that it could interfere with emergency warnings.
Red Tailed Hawks do come under the federal protection, even if some of them don't migrate, but getting one agency to defer to another is much more difficult than getting an agency to bring a private entity into compliance.

Wonderful story, thank you for putting it on the web! Just hope it has a happy end.
Sadly I think you will have a hard time getting anything from the Office of Emergency Preparedness, which is the agency that is responsible for the speakers afaik.
These agencies are not in the forefront of conservation and rationalize everything they do as being required by 'national security'. The hawk nest was probably considered unsightly and therefore removed, on the pretext that it could interfere with emergency warnings.
Red Tailed Hawks do come under the federal protection, even if some of them don't migrate, but getting one agency to defer to another is much more difficult than getting an agency to bring a private entity into compliance.

Thank you for commenting on my site!
Actually the agency that manages speakers did stop their weekly testing for a few weeks after the chicks hatched. Of course it required a few calls from the concerned public, but still it was nice of them.
If I would be able to find out what happened, I will update the thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back