• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk for ID Nebraska (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
Branched Oak lake just North of Lincoln. The dark breast is confusing me.

Attachments

• Jan 29 hawk A.jpg
    Jan 29 hawk A.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Jan 29 hawk B.jpg
    Jan 29 hawk B.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 57
OK. I was in my car and just got the takeoff, but it was quite aways off when when I got back to binoculars. Never saw the underwings.

I saw ”three” similar hawks in a one hour period but as they were on the same road, I am thinking they were just the same bird.

This looks better for a Red-tailed Hawk to me. Light morph, immature Roughies usually have light eyes and they have smaller beaks and smaller, lighter-colored heads.

Hmm, yeah, but the streaking on the upper chest had me confused. The reddish tinge in the neck behind the head would lean to red tail as well. Looking at my copy of Wheeler, the Eastern x Western cross has that facial pattern.

I did not end up listing it in the eBird list at all. We have had a young red-shouldered hawk there too, but it has a lighter chest. I have a fuzzy picture of it here.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41152848

Last edited:
Rough-legged Hawks also have noticeably tiny feet, as they hunt small rodents. This also looks like a red-tailed hawk to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back