• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Legend roofs Old and New (1 Viewer)

ScoutMan

What advantages are we going to get with the new Legend roofs Ultra HD over the old model?

Where does the old model rank now at the $200 price point?

As many of us have said many times "the new Legend roofs Ultra HD" has not shipped. No-one here has used it yet. So no-one can answer your question.

You can compare the specs ... the most obvious difference is a wider FOV. And the ED glass. But for ED glass to have a good impact you need to get the design of the bin right. It's not magic fairy dust.

That said I got an (old) Legend 8x42 roof last year and they deal with stray light exceptionally well (as good as the alphas I compared them against). Of course their other properties aren't alpha but they're not bad so it makes for an interesting bin.

So I'd place those a step above the Vortex Diamondback and Excursion roofs but of course below the Chinese EDs. Others might place them relative to the Vortex Fury and Viper but I don't have those bins.

But you can't extrapolate between bins like this even in the same brand family. They are probably designed by different people with different goals to different specs and even made in different factories.

But until they ship and someone tries one then we will be in the dark. And I suspect they may not appear until the middle of this year (it's a Bushnell tradition to do a long preannounce at the SHOT show).

I am hoping to have them soon but I fear Kevin is right. It should prove interesting though with all of these high end features now displayed on a $250 (give or take) binocular. I am leaning towards earlier comments though in feeling the need to compare this more with the Excursion rather than the Legend. My reasoning is the price difference between the old, and now supposedly improved new model and, of course, the field of view comparisons as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back