• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ever-ready case (1 Viewer)

salty

geordie birder
thinking of getting the ever-ready case for my (angled) apo-televid 77. does anybody own one?. want to know if there worth buying and can you carry the scope over your shoulder using the sling, with a tripod still attached! need to know before i spend my cash. cheers.

There are a few different cases out there - there is the official Leica one and a few 'own brand' ones - as far as I know they are all much the same. I find it very useful to have one - I can quickly cover the objective and eyepeice for peace of mind whe carrying the scope and uncover even faster...
You can carry the scope using the strap on the case, however this is not good for your tripod. The weight of the tripod hanging from the scope will often cause the thread on the tripod head/plate and the scopes 'foot' to degrade causing lasting damage. That said many people carry scopes in this way, so who knows...
I'd say it's worth having a stay on case, but it's also worth investing in a decent tripod strap.

A tripod strap will usually connect to your tripod at the top (just below the head) and to one leg. The strap is carried over the shoulder so the tripod is at your side - normally with the scope to the front.
You can get bulk standard tripod straps from about £10-20, however if you have a Manfrotto tripod it is worth getting one of their straps (about £20) as these screw into the top of the tripod and are very solid.

I have a Leica Cordura Ever-Ready case for my 77 APO angled scope. I like it. It looks better than the silver scope. It gives some padding for the scope. It is easy to use.

I've not tried to carry the scope and tripod by the strap on the scope case. I guess it would work ok, but one would hope the connection to the tripod is good.

I don't use the strap on the tripod either. I just put the tripod on my shoulder with the scope hanging behind me.

In a rain the case will get damp. Since the scope is waterproof it doesn't matter but I would take a little plastic bag along so the case doesn't get so wet. When the case gets wet I take it off the scope to let it dry.

I paid about $200 USD for the case. It seems like a lot of money for a scope case but it is nicely made.

Rich

thanks for the advice guys, cheers. i probaly will get the case now, but it looks like i will have to wait a bit longer. apparently there is a shortage at leica! so they must be popular.

I've got the case for my Leica scope (straight eye peice). It is good but mine is a very tight fit on the scope so it's a bit tough to pull out the sun shade. It was also quite difficult to ge the case on the scope initially. I've loosened the case up a bit by stretching the material with my fingers and that has helped a lot but I still wish it were a little looser. Maybe over time. I'm still a little annoyed that an expensive scope like the Leica didn't come with a case. It cost me about $260 to buy the case.
I had to buy a new tripod when I was travelling this summer. Not too many models were available so I bought a Swarovski tripod. It came with a carrying strap. I've taken the strap off for now as I've found it a bit of a nuisence. I prefer to extend the tripod legs and carry it on my shoulder. The tripod has pads so it's fairly comfortable even considering the combined weight of the scope plus tripod.
I close inspection of the tripod, by the way, shows Manfrotto stamped on the head.

got the case yesterday! one thing that is bugging me is the small flap with a screw through it, whats it for?

I worked the leather strap over the head of the tripod screw. It makes things a bit tight but seems to give more friction grip between the scope and the tripod.
I don't know if this is what's supposed to be done but it was my solution. :h?:

snowyowl A close inspection of the tripod said:
Sure, like Bogen, they are made by Manfrotto. Nothing bad about that except that the "Swarovski" is probably a bit more expensive?

Robert

Swissboy said:
snowyowl A close inspection of the tripod said:
Sure, like Bogen, they are made by Manfrotto. Nothing bad about that except that the "Swarovski" is probably a bit more expensive?

Robert
Actually to my surprise, it was about $30 cheaper and supposedly has a titanium head and the strap which the almost twin Manfrota didn't have. Those were the reasons that I chose it rather than the other available tripod.

"I'm still a little annoyed that an expensive scope like the Leica didn't come with a case. It cost me about $260 to buy the case."

I to have just shot the wad on the APO 62mm straight. What annoyed me was the poor design of the objective and eyepiece lens covers, I see that loosing these covers is a strong possibilty, that is why I am looking at purchasing the Leica stay on cover, but trying to find someone in Canada that stocks this Leica 42319, no luck so far, any thoughts? Michael, Rocky Mountains, Alberta.

waterproof case

I've never gone for the case on the basis that I would expect a US$250 + case to include the waterproofing function of the humble and widely availableUS$0.00250 plastic bag.

This seems to be a problem for other expensive brand-name cases too.

Is there:
a) a reason? or
b) a solution?
why this problem endures?

Mike

MKinHK said:
I've never gone for the case on the basis that I would expect a US$250 + case to include the waterproofing function of the humble and widely availableUS$0.00250 plastic bag.

Is there:
a) a reason? or
b) a solution?

Mike

with the scope itself being waterproof, a waterproof scope bag would be pointless.

salty said:
with the scope itself being waterproof, a waterproof scope bag would be pointless.

Fair point, but . . .

I guess I'm not a true believer in waterproofed scopes, especially those with interchangeable eyepieces. Although I have to admit this is a legacy of missing birds through fogged up kit in the past, my Leica seems to do fine in the rain.

Maybe I just struggle with the concept of paying that much for a soggy scope cover

Cheers
Mike

MKinHK said:

Is there:
a) a reason? or
b) a solution?

Mike

I am always rather amazed why people buy stay-on cases. I, for one, like to use the aiming device on the extendable objective shade. I should say I use it rather often! And that aiming device can't be used with a case covering the scope. That case also adds to the weight one carries around all the time. I use a knitted quiver type cover for transporting the scope in my luggage, and I have a self-made partial cover of very light leather that prevents directly touching the metal while aiming and focussing in the cold. I see the other advantages, of course, so it all boils down to how one sets one's own priorities.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back