• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 78mm (1 Viewer)

For a full-size scope, the ED 78 is not that heavy. Compared with 50-65mm scopes, it is heavier of course.

As for how good it is as a "starter scope," like with any other scope, it depends on the luck of the draw, or how good an individual unit you happen to get. But, the reason why I am writing this is that just last weekend I looked again through a friends' ED 78 A with a zoom. He's a lucky chap who several years ago chanced to buy one that just happens to be a nearly perfect specimen, and still today it puts to shame very nearly every top-end scope pitted against it. It is his starter scope, but it is also very likely the last scope he will ever buy.

But, looking for a second-hand scope (and new ones, too) check the view with the highest available magnification and see that you can get the image to "snap" to sharp focus easily and repeatably. If you can, it is a good scope.

Kimmo

It is an excellent scope. I've had mine for about 5 years and I have no wish to change it for any other. On the odd occasion when I've looked through somebody else's top end scope I've been disappointed. But as has been said, always try before you buy. I'm not sure about getting a stay on case for it, but I've never had one and don't miss it.

I use the 60mm EDII which is the contemporary of the 78 ED. I find them to be excellent. I understand you give up some to their modern equivs - anyone know otherwise let me know.

1. No shade - could be disadvantage in some lighting conditions.
2. I believe these are not rated as waterproof
3. I have see info that suggests these are not fully multi-coated, so theoretically a more modern model would have better contrast. I haven't seen a lot of corroboration of that but seems plausible.
4. If anything like the 60mm, the focus ring is very "fast" meaning a slight touch may focus too much. Finesse is critical.

All that aside, a great scope and fully usable in almost any situation.

I bought mine in about 1995 and haven't been tempted to replace it with anything newer. My only gripes are the lack of full waterproofing, the lack of a rain hood, and the lack of a long-eye-relief ultra-wide-angle 20-50x zoom (the last problem not unique to this scope :) Otherwise, it's an awesome ~80mm compact birding scope.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back