• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sanderling (1 Viewer)

bmarnell

Settings 1/640, f5.6 ISO 125 taken with 40D + 300mm 1:4 L IS by a colleague.

When viewed @ 100% the plumage is quite sharp on my screen. I never use an ISO less than 200 and I usually hope for 1/1000 as I thought that shutter speed is the best way to "freeze" a moving bird. Please tell me how you think the sharpness of this sanderling would "probably" have been affected if it had been taken with equipment & settings as above but using ISO 200 & shutter speed 1/1000. What's getting me is that my colleague who's far away consistently gets much finer plumage detail using the above settings than I do with my settings, especially when I up my ISO above 200. Explanations would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Attachments

• sanderling.jpg
    sanderling.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
The difference in ISO won't affect sharpness other than in respect of affecting shutter speed. Increasing ISO will increase noise but the difference between ISO 125 and ISO 200 is negligible.

To me this looks way over sharpened. There's quite a 'halo' around the bill. Less sharpening would be a more natural and pleasing look.

If you're using the same equipment it maybe worth trying manual focus or using the liveview function if the camera is tripod mounted as you can zoom into 10x magnification for more accurate focus. Also using just the centre focus point may pick out the bird better - if you're not already using it. Of course you may not be over-sharpening your photos in any case.

As you say 1/1000 sec shutter is plenty ample for hand holding and birds on the ground. I tend to prefer 1/1250 min for birds in flight.

To me this looks way over sharpened. There's quite a 'halo' around the bill. Less sharpening would be a more natural and pleasing look.
Agreed - this screams sharpened rather than sharp.

It's hard to comment usefully on your question without examples of your images to compare with - it might simply be a case of you needing to develop a working sharpening strategy. Or maybe your colleague is able to get closer to his birds, and so needs to crop less than you.

The point being, we need more information. There's no question about the ability of the 40D/300mm f/4 combo to produce silly-sharp images, but there's too many questions left unanswered here for any useful conclusions to be drawn.

Last edited:
Thank you both very much. I must learn to distinguish between "sharp" and "sharpened". Are there side-by-side examples to be studied anywhere? Perhaps from some teacher's galleries?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back