• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 62.26x or 16-48x. (1 Viewer)

Hello everybody!I´m new here.I have a APO televid 62 with 16-48 zoom.I was wondering if there is a difference if you buy a fixed eyepiece,as the 26x or 32x.Is there anybody having any experience of testing this?

Hi, I've got both. Bought the zoom first but really didn't get on with it (such a narrow field of view). I now use the x26 ww which is excellent. Never use the zoom for birding.

Richard Bashford

i have the big brother - APO77 with 20-60x zoom. and i very rarely use the zoom myself, prefering the wider angle on 20x mag. but it does come in very handy for those long distant ID problems, and great for the raptors as they soar high in the sky.

I thought so myself!Maybe i will end up with with 3 or 4 eyepieces.If you use a fixed 26x or 32x eyepiece,will i get of course a wider field,but will i get more lighttransmission and even sharper image compared to my 16-48.zoom(which is incredible good,(compared to my older Kowa tsn-601 with 30x eyepiece=.

Hi niklas

I don't see the point of the 32ww. its field of view is no better than the zoom at 16x so you scan at 16 and zoom in.

The 26ww is a cracking lens optically the view is outstanding but if I use one its the zoom purely for flexibility at places like Hanningfield reservoir etc. Its fov isn't as good as the zeiss (but I prefer the image) but at 16x its as good as many fixed lenses

pduxon said:
The 26ww is a cracking lens optically the view is outstanding but if I use one its the zoom purely for flexibility at places like Hanningfield reservoir etc. Its fov isn't as good as the zeiss (but I prefer the image) but at 16x its as good as many fixed lenses

Sums up my opinion too; the zoom is essential on certain occasions to clinch an ID.

The FOV on the 32 may be no better than 16x (zoom) BUT the resolution and contrast are certainly better than the zoom at 32x, I have both. Just my 2cents worth. Michael Woertman, Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation.

Raptor said:
The FOV on the 32 may be no better than 16x (zoom) BUT the resolution and contrast are certainly better than the zoom at 32x, I have both. Just my 2cents worth. Michael Woertman, Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation.

Hi michael

wouldn't disagree with you. Certainly at 26 the fixed is a better lens than the zoom.

My point was that if I was to have one lens I'd go for the zoom over the fixed 32 because the fov is similar and the zoom has more flexibility. With the 26 it is harder call because the fov is greater and it gives such a good view. I'd still go with the zoom but.....

I keep forgetting how good the 26ww is until I looked through a Swaro 65 with the 30x.

Hi all, just to reiterate point made by others I also own the 77 and use the 20 to 60 zoom as its so flexible.

Stewart

:bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back