• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Coopers? Southern California (1 Viewer)

Ostracod

Sorry for the newbie question, but I have a tough time identifying hawks and I want to get it right before I log it on eBird. Observed this afternoon in a residential area about 40 miles inland from Los Angeles and 5 miles south of the San Gabriel foothills. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 58
Looks fine for a young Cooper's Hawk. Its tail is WAY too long for a Red-tailed. And a Red-tailed would have a belly band with a mostly unmarked chest and a larger bill.

Young accipiter for me also, probably Cooper’s (it has that long, lanky look. . .).

Last edited:
Lighting the pic up you see better what it is. And as said here an Accipiter and a Cooper's.

JanJ

Attachments

• PSX_20180225_110657.jpg
    PSX_20180225_110657.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 36
So consensus is a Coopers then? Hurray, I got a hawk right, haha! Minor miracle, that. I've got another one in the same tree from earlier in the day but only the back is visible so there is not much to go on. I may let that one pass. Anyway, thanks everyone for comments and direction.
Craig

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back