• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US: which state next? (1 Viewer)

Tailorbird2

Hi,

We have already been birding Southern CA, AZ and TX (in spring each). So we have seen most of the Southern North American species as well as many migrants from the North.

Since birding and travelling the US with a little child is very easy, birdlife diverse, birding infrastructure great, landscapes beautiful and there are nice places for tent camping everywhere, we are wondering what would be the next best states/region for birding in the US to get more species (besides Alaska). Any recommendations?

Last edited:
How about a trip from Vegas to Denver? Spectacular drive with great national/state parks. We did it with a 1.5 yo and really enjoyed it. Excellent birding throughout too.
Although in terms of new species you'd probably be better off visiting the Northwest (Seattle area, or a road trip to Salt Lake City or Denver via Yellowstone) or New England :)

Must form my point of view is in every case Alaska, especially Glacier and Hawaii.
Of course Sequoia Forest und Sequoia national park in Calinornia is also a must to see.
Did You ever visit Channel Island national park in California.
There is possible to see an endemic island Jay.

I had a very enjoyable trip to Manitoba many years ago. I barely scratched the surface, but from some of the reading I did it looked like an excellent State for birding, albeit Canadian rather than American. Oak Hammock Marsh, various forest Provincial & National Parks, some prairie too. Could be worth a bit of research.

A trip around Washington and Montana would be really enjoyable, with quite a wide mix of birds from the coast to the mountains and forests and then the prairies.

Don't forget about the eastern half of the country! South Florida is probably the most species rich part of the country you have not visited yet. I would also consider Maine, which features boreal forests and beautiful rocky coasts, plus great lobster.

Don't forget about the eastern half of the country! South Florida is probably the most species rich part of the country you have not visited yet. I would also consider Maine, which features boreal forests and beautiful rocky coasts, plus great lobster.

How close it is possible to watch birds like herons ?
In Texas I saw heron and other birds much closer than in Central Europe.
In Florida it said birds can be watched very close, because low escape distance.

In Europe there is to much gun fire against birds, so we have much higher escape distance.

I would second Florida as a good place to visit, but also remind that there are good migration spots for smaller birds around the Great Lakes such as Point Pelee (Canada's southernmost point, great for warbler migration in fall) or a similar spot on the south side in spring.

Regarding flight distance: I have had to zoom out with the camera because I was too close in Florida. That effect is not quite so strong with small birds here in Tennessee.

Niels

There's a lot to enjoy in the Mid-West, one of my favorite playgrounds.

Without too much trouble you could plan a circle trip or out and back....from your choice of International Airports.

Here's a few of the hot spots, adding stops to your route shouldn't be too much trouble.

Magee Marsh & Black Swamp Bird Observatory - Oak Harbor, Ohio
Horicon Marsh & Bird Festival - Horicon, Wisconsin
Chequamegon Bay Birding & Nature Festival - Ashland, Wisconsin (Bird List)

There's a lot of wilderness up north, it wouldn't take much to skip the festivals and go it alone.

You could hunt down the Kirkland Warbler from Gayling, Michigan (located in the upper palm).

From there, circle around to the Upper Peninsula for camping, hiking, birding at Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Ontonagon, Michigan.

Drop down to Ashland, Wisconsin....down further still to Horicon, Wisconsin.....over to Oak Harbor, Ohio.

There's a lot of driving but plenty of camping up north. Pick and choose how much ground you want to cover.

To me, if there was any distractors it would be the chilly spring weather. Never know what you'll run into that time of year.

Good Luck My Friend

Thank you for all the recommendations. I think the Northwest (Olympic NP to Yellowstone) as well as Florida are going to be our next US destinations. Magee Marsh is another candidate but for a short trip with friends rather than for family vacations.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back