• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Flycatcher or Mipet? UK (1 Viewer)

bluesinlondon

At the time I thought this was a Spotted Flycatcher, but looking at these pics I'm not so sure.

Farlington Marshes, near Portsmouth (not very typical Flycatcher country it must be said)... Sat 19th May.

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    756.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 211
Definitely a spot fly! Shape of the forehead with the 'spots' on it is the clue.

And they have a much finer bill too, than a mipit.

Definitely a spot fly! Shape of the forehead with the 'spots' on it is the clue.

And they have a much finer bill too, than a mipit.

Sorry I have to disagree. It is a (rather overexposed) Meadow Pipit. It also has spots on the forehead but further much more defined streaks on whiter underside and a very short primary projection/very long tertials.

Err, sorry, nope, Mipit is correct :t:

Head pattern with that fine dark lateral throat line; Spot Fly doesn't have that, nor the sharp flank streaks. Fine bill is right for Mipit too; Spot Fly has a distincive flat, broad-based bill for catching flies. Finally, the long tertials almost completely covering the primary tips is a pipit character, Spot Fly has obvious long primaries extending well beyond the tertials.

Edit: cross-posted with Roland

Are you 100% sure Delia? I am leaning towards Meadow Pipit or as sometimes referred to "Mipit".

Cross posted too with two.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back